Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Warranty & Synchro's Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004 | 01:29 PM
Teching In

Default Warranty & Synchro's Question

I am 99.9% sure the synchro's are what is causing problems with shifting in 3rd and 4th gear.

The warranty company said they will only cover the synchro's if something broke rather than just being worn.

The car has 36k miles on it. I can still use 3rd and 4th, it just grinds a little before going into gear. This makes me think that they are just worn rather than broke because I can still use the gears.

What do you guys think? I have a hefty bill on my hands if the warranty company won't cover the replacement of the synchro's.
Old 10-03-2004 | 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

u tell the shop that if they want your business then the sycros need to be broke when they pull them out ....
Old 10-03-2004 | 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

oh, and yes, you have a hefty bill on your hands ...... 700 - 1000 bucks
Old 10-03-2004 | 04:28 PM
Teching In

That is what I figured.

I think the shop is well aware of my situation, so I think they will help me out. I am a new customer to them though, so I am not sure.

Do synchro's wear? Or do they just break?

I am not sure.
Old 10-03-2004 | 05:16 PM
Launching!

I have the same problem i think. I get that grinding noise sometimes but only in 2nd. im not sure what it is exactly? i dont have money to speng on my Z right now so **** it. and my Z28 M6 has +77K on the clock
Old 10-03-2004 | 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

As a shop Owner tell them to price all the parts at GM list prices. Then have them get the parts elsewhere/Cheaper. They could make more money doing it that way. John
Old 10-03-2004 | 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

excellent advice ... get the parts from d&d or the gear box .... the parts will be about 1/4 the price from GM
Old 10-03-2004 | 11:16 PM
Teching In

Well yes of course, but that won't matter if the warranty covers it.

I am curious if the warranty will cover the synchro's.

If it doesn't, my first 1k in mods will be moved back a ways.
Old 10-04-2004 | 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

i think he was saying that the shop could pocket more $ making for a nice incentive
Old 10-04-2004 | 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Yes that what Im saying. I have helped many a customer out with problems. Most of these policy are good at the dealer, so being and independant I price thing based on OE list. But I also got some items that were questionable covered by just saying the right info. So if the shop can say the right thing they can get it covered and make more money. Its a win win for both you. Lets say OE list on all part involved are 1300 bucks plus Labor. He could go to dd for example and get all the parts for 500 bucks. The shop makes more money, you get the tranny fixed the right way. Everyone is happy.
I once had a customer want to buy an extended warranty for his s-blazer he was looking at. I went over the truck and gave him a list of what was needed to be fixed and costs. He bought the truck, the policy and over the next yr fixed the items at random intervals. I made more money than I would because I marked the parts up more and the customer got his car fixed. Needless to say the the customer got his money worth on the policy. Later John
Old 10-04-2004 | 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

sadly most shop owners are morons and dont see the big picture cuz their head is up their *** ...... what you are doing is smart business
Old 10-05-2004 | 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

What I've had issue with, is some policy that I can be used at my business take a percentage off the top. One company I Deal with take 10% off. So I have to pad the parts prices to make up for the discount. Trying to play the markup the labor gain doesnt work very well because they have the same info I have. So What I have found is charge for Diagnosis and what ever my computer says I can get and then mark the parts up more than I would usually do. Im just trying to make a living and if this helps the bottom line and the customer I will do it. If you were in the area I would try to help you. John

Quick Reply: Warranty & Synchro's Question