Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch pedal sits in the floor-slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal sits in the floor-slave cylinder?

O.K. todayi came home from work and chilled out for about two hours. When i got beack into my car to leave-

1. i backed out of the garage
2. car felt like it still wanted to go even after i let off the gas(faster than normal)
3. when i went to put the car in first gear it would not go in and screeched like crazy.
4. same for second gear
5. realized that the clutch pedal had no pressure and would not come up.
6. turned the car off and changed through the gears no problem.
7. tried to start car and change gears..same screeching and jerking
8. i had to turn off the car, place it in first gear and drive around the block in first gear (cause it would not let me out of first gear) just to get back into the garage. I leave the house to go somewhere.
9. Fast forward 3 hours later. I come home and pump the **** out of the clutch pedal and after a few minutes of pumping the pedal it comes back up and appears to regain the pressure.

I left it at that because it is dark and late and i didnt want to get stranded at night if it messed up again.

Next day i come from work and start the car normal. With car on and holding the clutch pedal down i am able to go through all the gears. I decide to try and turn the car off and start again before i drive it. But....when i turn the car off the pedal does not come back up. So is this the clutch or slave cylinder.

I have not had any problems with this clutch ever. There were no warning signs at all. Just crapped out from one moment to the next. But this is the stock clutch on a 98 Z28 with 73K miles. Is the clutch or slave cylinder screwed?
Old 10-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Launching!

I'd like to know too
Old 10-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Launching!

A stock clutch at 73k? I thought mine was doing good lasting 45k.

My pedal was sticking to the floor last summer and I tought it was the slave. I put a slave in and had the same problem. Then I had to buy a clutch and got to pull the trans twice instead of once.

I would just buy a clutch and slave and get it over with in one shot. I would buy a new master too since you have a 98 car like me.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Launching!

so you put a newslave in with the original clutch - didnt work. But when you put a master slave and clutch in and no more problems?
Old 10-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Launching!

I did the master first. No change. My reasoning was that I was going to buy a newer style master anyway if I needed the clutch.

Then, I did the slave... still thinking it was a hydraulic issue. I was wrong, the pedal still stuck to the floor when I was hard on it.

Then I took the clutch out and it was obviously wasted. I should have looked at the clutch when I had it apart the first time (doin' the slave).

Removing and re-installing the trans is something you probably don't want to do twice. That's why I suggested buying/installing the clutch & slave both at once since you have a high mileage 98. You can do the master anytime. It's a PITA but you don't have to pull the tranny to do it.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Launching!

I dont see how a wasted clutch would cause your pedal to stick to the floor. My new gm clutch has 16k miles on it and this problem just happened in the past week or so. I drive my car to and from work 80 miles r/t so its not like I whoop on it like most owners. I'm gonna try bleeding it first, its easy and free. :shrug:
Old 10-17-2004, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try bleeding it. If that doesn't work then it is more than likely your slave cylinder or it's components.

Quick Reply: clutch pedal sits in the floor-slave cylinder?