Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 w/ Lou's Short Stick - My experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro 5.0 w/ Lou's Short Stick - My experience

Purpose:
I am writing this thread for people who are interested in the Pro 5.0 shift tower and the Lou's Short Stick. This chronicles my experience with the stock shifter, the installation of the Pro 5.0 Shifter, the installation of the LSS, and the differences.

Enjoy.

Disclaimer:
I am not a professional. This is merely an explanation of my experience installing these parts. I do know a thing or two about cars, but I wouldn't say I know it all. If something does not make sense, it may just be me.

Installation:
The instructions that come with the Pro 5.0 basically sum up how to install the tower. Take a peak at installuniversity.com, they give photographic instructions on how to install a new shift tower.

The installation of the stick is pretty easy and/or takes common sense. Use medium strength locktight for the bolts that hold on the shift stick (blue color I believe).

I am not going to do a step by step installation guide, as you can find that at www.installuniversity.com, they would do a much better job than I. Make sure to read this install guide before attempting to install the shift tower. You will make things ten times easier.

The installation of both is pretty easy, up until you have to remove the old shift tower from the tranny. It has gasket sealant that creates sort of a bond to the tranny, so you will need a crowbar, or a large carpenters nail remover tool. From the drivers side, I simply hooked the hammer like edge on the side, and yanked straight up. After a few good pulls, it came out.

DO NOT use a screwdriver and try and lever it up using the thin sheet metal from the sides. This stuff bends with a slight breeze (sarcasm), so becareful. Just use your strength.

This is the only bump in the road I came to, and I had no idea what to expect, besides what the installuniversity.com guide said.

Make sure to use proper gasket sealant. I read that someone used a rubber gasket instead of a high temp sealant. It gets extremely hot in the area that the is gasket will be, so make sure to use the RTV high temp gasket sealant. Most every auto parts store has it.

Also, do not work on your car right after driving it. Give it an hour to cool down. Yes, I did say an hour. I worked on it 30 mins after I drove it, and the shift tower and internals were still pretty warm.

What improvements did I see with the Pro 5.0 and LSS?
Shifting is obviously shorter, which is a delight. Some people say that because it is so much shorter, it is a bit harder to get it into gear. I did not find this to be true. I actually find that it is easier to get it into gear. This may be because a shorter stick fits my shifting style better, but never-the-less.

The actual shift tower shifts much more smooth. This is the greatest difference I found. The LSS is angled towards the drivers seat, so it provides a much more fluid motion when shifting. But the Pro 5.0 shift tower definately shifts better.

What exactly do I mean by this? Well, for me it is all about the 2-3 and the 4-5 shifts, and even the 5-6 (though this is a worthless shift to most people, as 6th gear is the "gas mileage gear").

The 2-3 shift feels almost straight up, where as the stock shifter, you could feel the stick kick to the right a little to go into 3rd. This is by far the most impressive improvement in my opinion.

The 4-5 shift while not feeling like it is straight up, is much more smooth with the 5.0 shift tower. The stock tower, I had to really feel like I had to push it to the right for 5th. With the Pro 5.0, i can simply nudge it a little to the right, and into 5th I go. It is simply a much smoother transition.

I haven't really noticed an increase in vibration on the shift stick. Many people say because it is shorter, and a different tower, you feel more vibrations in the stick. I haven't noticed this.

What are the negatives about the shift stick and tower?
The negatives I noticed were the increase in sound in the cabin (inside the car). This may be because I did something wrong, but I always noticed a little sound before, but with the new stick & tower it is a little louder.

With a little music playing though, you don't hear it.

The sound I am hearing is the rings (that are with the synchro's and forks) in the tranny starting to spin when I change gears, which is normal to my understanding. Other than that, I have no complaints.

So all in all, I would highly recommend the Pro 5.0 and LSS. Even though the Pro 5.0 was built for a mustang (yuck), it is a killer addition.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Nice write up.. I have the same combo and love it.

One addition though... when you have the stock shifter out its a perfect time to change your trans fluid. Unplug the plug on the trans, let it drain, then add new fluid while the shifter is out. I used Redline... works good.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I just did mine yesterday. The only major thing I dislike about the pro 5.0 is how nearly impossible it is to get the thing into reverse. I either need to go to the gym and start buffing up *snickers* or the reverse isnt intended to be used )

The cripsness and overall feel of the shifter otherwise 1-6 is so much better than stock.. you just have to try it to notice the difference.

As for noise... I don;t notice anything different than the stock set-up.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Resident

I dunno I love my setup. Huge improvement over the stock hurst with stock stick or short stick.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dentalguy
Well, I just did mine yesterday. The only major thing I dislike about the pro 5.0 is how nearly impossible it is to get the thing into reverse. I either need to go to the gym and start buffing up *snickers* or the reverse isnt intended to be used )

The cripsness and overall feel of the shifter otherwise 1-6 is so much better than stock.. you just have to try it to notice the difference.

As for noise... I don;t notice anything different than the stock set-up.
Try putting it in 3rd gear first and then going over to reverse.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice