Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help Diagnose T56 3rd Gear Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004 | 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

It's more of the corner of the country made by those two lines. I'm from GA. It's not a lack of affection. Things are simply done differently in the North; language, culture, customs. Yankee isn't necessarily a derogatory term, just a delineation of various regional differences. Think of it as a term of endearment.
Old 11-17-2004 | 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Well to the original poster.

I have the same problem after a missed shift. The only thing I have been able to do to live with it is put it into 4th before 3rd. It has worked 99% of the time. Only time it hasn't worked is when I get a little lazy.

But then again if your at that point you might as well leave it in 4th. Give it a try and see if it works.
Old 11-18-2004 | 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

spoot head, fix a sandwhich oh my you guys have me rolling
Old 11-22-2004 | 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was actually posting this on behalf of my friend- I got to drive the car- 3rd kind of goes in, but just grinds and gets spit out. A quick 2-4 shift gets a LOT of grinding, but will go in with enough of a hesitation.

It did have a shifter with adjustable stops on it.

Thanks for the replies
Ben
Old 11-22-2004 | 10:32 PM
Teching In

Send me a 3/4 fork - I'll bend it in a minute, take a pic and you can all see a bent one. Good grief what a helpful thread this was.

cmac
Old 12-02-2004 | 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

wow,
this thread gives new meaning to the saying "arguing on the internet is like...."

its my tranny, thanks for posting Ben! Its a frustrating problem because I want to use 3rd gear SO BADLY because it just RIPS! its the sweet spot in the entire power band and mph paramaters around town... rats! I am excited to open it up and see what the hell the problem really is.

here is the scenario, like Ben said:
-it slides right into 3rd sometimes. no problem.
-other times, shifting the same way, same rpms, etc. but it just does not lock into 3rd gear and if you do not move the lever towards neutral, it grinds, nice.
-other times it spits the shiftlever right back out at you.

I saw on the T56 rebuild thread on ls2.com that there is a plastic spacer behind 3rd gear and sometimes it melts right to the gear allowing some shift problems to occur. Also the adjustable shifter on the traanny previously may have led to the problem, damaging something internally.

shift fork, a hole alignment, key damge, synchro wear or gear wear is all possible. I guess I'll drop the tranny and inspect it in the early springtime if not over the winter.

Quick Reply: Help Diagnose T56 3rd Gear Problem