Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help Diagnose T56 3rd Gear Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004 | 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Help Diagnose T56 3rd Gear Problem

The tranny is fighting me back a bit in 3rd gear, sometimes it just denies me from upshifting into 3rd gear. Frustrating too since there seems to be no majic formula to get it in 3rd every time... and its no fun hearing the tranny grind and feel it shove the shifter back into your hand! It does go in sometimes, oother times its like "NO" and pops out. Sometimes if you push it in and slowly let out the clutch, right before the clutch engages you can hear a little "click" and it goes right in.... very strange.

Thanks
Ben
Old 11-15-2004 | 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
The tranny is fighting me back a bit in 3rd gear, sometimes it just denies me from upshifting into 3rd gear. Frustrating too since there seems to be no majic formula to get it in 3rd every time... and its no fun hearing the tranny grind and feel it shove the shifter back into your hand! It does go in sometimes, oother times its like "NO" and pops out. Sometimes if you push it in and slowly let out the clutch, right before the clutch engages you can hear a little "click" and it goes right in.... very strange.

Thanks
Ben
Ben without having the trans torn apart it will be hard to pinpoint the prob.It sounds like you have an issue with the blocker rings or synchro.Bent shift forks is also another possibilty.
Old 11-15-2004 | 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, those are the items I was thinking as well. It is a friend's tranny, but I imagine he'll rebuild in the spring.

Thanks
Ben

Originally Posted by anthony m
Ben without having the trans torn apart it will be hard to pinpoint the prob.It sounds like you have an issue with the blocker rings or synchro.Bent shift forks is also another possibilty.
Old 11-15-2004 | 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gear jump out in 3rd is common with the aluminum fork. It can also be caused by worn/ broken fork pads. If it has been clashing/ jumping awhile, you will need a driven gear and a synchronizer sleeve( only sold as part of the whole syncronozer) as well as new pads and/ or a fork( replace with an iron fork)
Old 11-15-2004 | 06:38 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by anthony m

There's only one fork for 3/4 and it's so thick that it is not a possibility of being "bent." Quit repeating what you hear on the internet please, and only post technical facts.

The iron fork doesn't necessarily solve anything. I have done a rebuild and while we did nothing to 3/4 other than replace synchro linings, it more easily popped out of 3rd after installation of the iron fork. Not before.

RX-Ben, more than likely you need to go internal and inspect the synchro.
Old 11-15-2004 | 09:49 PM
wrencher

The fork may have alot of mass but they do get tweeked. It's the tips & the center hole where the selector shaft goes that the problem occurs. Then if driven the synchro gets torn up, the speed gear section of the synchro as well. Thats were the parts cost starts adding up.
Old 11-16-2004 | 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

While its true there is no one here that has actually bent a 3/4 fork (Wallowing of the rail hole is not bending the fork) the result is affectivly the same .
If you replaced only the fork on a unit that had been jumping out of gear for awhile - the driven gear clutch teeth were excessively worn and should also have been replaced( the gear)
Old 11-16-2004 | 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmd
There's only one fork for 3/4 and it's so thick that it is not a possibility of being "bent." Quit repeating what you hear on the internet please, and only post technical facts.

The iron fork doesn't necessarily solve anything. I have done a rebuild and while we did nothing to 3/4 other than replace synchro linings, it more easily popped out of 3rd after installation of the iron fork. Not before.

RX-Ben, more than likely you need to go internal and inspect the synchro.
I am not repeating anything anything i heard on the internet.I have seen bent shift forks on a t56 dumb ***.
Old 11-16-2004 | 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

You did not see a bent 3/4 fork ( your dumb *** self) maybe a 5th/6th but no you did not see a bent 3/4 or 1/2 fork.
Old 11-16-2004 | 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by calhoon
You did not see a bent 3/4 fork ( your dumb *** self) maybe a 5th/6th but no you did not see a bent 3/4 or 1/2 fork.
The point is that you still need to check it right?Just because you personally have never seen a bent3/4 shift fork does not mean that someone else has not.Also how do you know what i have seen or not?All this guy wanted was some opinions on what might be the problem.I never said that it was bent i said to check it.So shut the **** up.
Old 11-16-2004 | 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Rx-ben, do you have an aftermarket shifter assembly? If so is it one w/ adjustable stops? The reason i ask is because if the stops aren't properly adjusted it can cause you to go too far into a gear and actually mess up the trans. I would like to bet that you bent your 3-4 shift fork. Althought Callhoon(knows everything) doesnt think it's possible, I have seen many cases that have had problems going into 3rd, out of 3rd gear that have led to a bent shift fork. It is not made of high strength metal but actually of aluminum, thats why many people choose to upgrade to a steel 3-4 shift fork, as i have in my t-56. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Anthony M is on the right track as far as diagnosis. Callhoon i'd say loose the ignorance, just because u havent seen it doesnt mean it cant happen buddy come on!

Later,
Nick
Old 11-16-2004 | 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

I've never seen a bent 3/4 fork, but my Trans tech said I bent the **** out of mine. The dog gears also exploded into the case and it ate a slider key, but what the Hell. I broke my foot off in that transmission's ***.
Old 11-17-2004 | 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Antho much smart *** you are a liar. I'll buy any bent 3/4 fork from any of you spoot heads that think you have one. Hey white bone alone- you're too stupid to help and if you mistake knowledge for the kind of mis -info you spout you don't deserve help.
Old 11-17-2004 | 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Antho much smart *** you are a liar. I'll buy any bent 3/4 fork from any of you spoot heads that think you have one. Hey white bone alone- you're too stupid to help and if you mistake knowledge for the kind of mis -info you spout you don't deserve help.
Do you think all the techs who work at Chevy or Pontiac dealers are members on this site?Let me tell you something Calhoon you could not fix a sandwich so **** your pie hole.What do you think when some trans tech sees some crazy **** in a t 56 they all come on here and tell everyone?Some people actually don't need the internet to fix cars.I come on this site to give advice and try and help people.I am no expert ,but working as a GM tech at a dealer for 12 years gives me the right to tell you to **** the **** up.
Old 11-17-2004 | 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

You tony balony, lier and rude abusive ****, are one of the prime reasons the dealer relations are fugged. You have that true dealer spoot know ita all attitude and demean the good folks( yea the customer there for help) . You with your 12 years of dealer milk bone will not cut it , its really a sad testiment to your ineptitude. Go stuff your own pie holes. I have been in the drivetrain bus. for 25 years. I was also the one who came up with the iron 3/4 fork. I think I more than qualify to talk about these forks and do ,in fact and not spout-a -crapa -da mouth like you,know what I am talking about. Yes , junior, I am an expert. And you will never tell me anything about a T56 that I don't know, get over it. I suggest you drop your lift the leg on the other guy attitude and concentrate on the helping you profess to be interested in.
Old 11-17-2004 | 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

You tony balony, lier and rude abusive ****, are one of the prime reasons the dealer relations are fugged. You have that true dealer spoot know ita all attitude and demean the good folks( yea the customer there for help) . You with your 12 years of dealer milk bone will not cut it , its really a sad testiment to your ineptitude. Go stuff your own pie holes. I have been in the drivetrain bus. for 25 years. I was also the one who came up with the iron 3/4 fork. I think I more than qualify to talk about these forks and do ,in fact and not spout-a -crapa -da mouth like you,know what I am talking about. Yes , junior, I am an expert. And you will never tell me anything about a T56 that I don't know, get over it. I suggest you drop your lift the leg on the other guy attitude and concentrate on the helping you profess to be interested in.
Well i am real proud of you.But my whole point here is that just because you have never seen this or never seen that does not mean someone else has not.I never claimed to be a t56 expert,i was giving advice.But the fact still remains that just because you have never seen something does not mean i am bullshiting.You should know this since you have been in the business for 25 years.You see and learn something every day.
Old 11-17-2004 | 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

WTF is a spoot head? Is that a Yankee thing?
Old 11-17-2004 | 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ha! I must confess I got that term from a Texan and it has somehow stuck as a catch-all phrase.I don't know exactly what a Yankee is but perhaps I am one.
Old 11-17-2004 | 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Ohio is more midwest, but I sometimes lump all you Northerners together.
Old 11-17-2004 | 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

so is that north of mason-dixon or just east of st. louis that gets the yankee tag.I assume , from your dicussion, that you are not a yankee . Do you have some sort of lack of affection for the same like a yankee has done poorly by you?

Quick Reply: Help Diagnose T56 3rd Gear Problem