Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 down shifting noise question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 down shifting noise question

Just got my car back about a week ago (engine rebuild) and obviously I am paying more attention to noises in the car. For the 1st time today I started to hear noise fromt the trany when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd with a little load/RPMs in the shifting (like 2500 into 2nd). The noise sounds like the gears are trying to engage before the gear is fully in - like a gear turning grawl, not a gear rubbing sound and NOT grinding. I have no issues like this in any other gear and am pretty certain that it's the synchros but wanted to get some other opinions.

Informative responses are appreciated.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for a hole in the body boot . It may just be letting in more noise that you are not used to . If you are talking obout the spin -up sound of the synchros bringing the lower gear to speed befor it is engaged, this is normal.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is that this "grawl" only happens down shifting into 2nd in RPM's 2500 and up.....if this were a normal noise, I would expect to hear it in every gear and in my other 4th gens I have never heard this sound.

I have had synchro issues before with much older Z's but they have always grinded teeth when the synchros went out. This sounds like the gear is starting to spin before engaging but there is no issues with teeth rubbing/not meshing.

Anyone else ?

Quick Reply: M6 down shifting noise question