Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Launch techniques

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launch techniques

I was just wondering how people launch their M6's.

I have owned my car for only a month, I have found that dropping the clutch at 2k and going 3/4's throttle then full around 3k works best for me. This is on the street and on street tires. It spins for about 10 feet and then hooks. Do you think I could get away with dropping clutch at 2.5k and go full throttle right away at a drag strip? My car is stock except for a Lid and it has
Yokohama, AVS ES100 tires that have probably 90% tread left.

Any thoughts, and your techniques are appreciated.

Thank You
Old 12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I would say hit the track and try it. I always just try to *feel* what the car wants.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the track, let out on the clutch just enought to load the drivetrain but not so much that it moves the car. Bring the revs up, then squeeze the clutch out like you would squeeze the trigger on a gun while dropping the hammer. Shocking the drivetrain by dumping it just breaks the tires loose. Go full throttle immediately, it needs the torque to recover from the bog. If you are really good with the clutch, you can actually slip it a little until the car gets rolling, then fully engage it. Very hard on the clutch though.

Heat the tires thoroughly beforehand. I have gotten 2.0 60ft on stock Goodyears and a 1.9 on BFG DR's with a similar car/technique and have never launched over 3500rpm.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

ive tried every freaking way to launch and i think my limit right now is tires (im on eagle f1 275/40-17s), i just need something stickier. i blow the tires off at any speed in 1st and 2nd.. i cant go wide open at any point in 1st gear without being on the rev limiter almost instantly... if i powershift 2nd im guaranteed a wild ride, fishtailing and everything that sometimes lasts until im into 3rd.. if i go into 2nd smoothly and try not to shock the tires with a powershift, as soon as i get full throttle it breaks loose again unless im close to shifting into 3rd. if i lay into it in 2nd from a roll, it gets pretty crazy and ive covered 2 lanes on the interstate doing that. even with spinning to around the 1/8 mile car still pulls consistent high 12s.. but mph is usually around 114.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
ive tried every freaking way to launch and i think my limit right now is tires (im on eagle f1 275/40-17s), i just need something stickier. i blow the tires off at any speed in 1st and 2nd.. i cant go wide open at any point in 1st gear without being on the rev limiter almost instantly... if i powershift 2nd im guaranteed a wild ride, fishtailing and everything that sometimes lasts until im into 3rd.. if i go into 2nd smoothly and try not to shock the tires with a powershift, as soon as i get full throttle it breaks loose again unless im close to shifting into 3rd. if i lay into it in 2nd from a roll, it gets pretty crazy and ive covered 2 lanes on the interstate doing that. even with spinning to around the 1/8 mile car still pulls consistent high 12s.. but mph is usually around 114.
Yup, get tires. My Z was the same way until I put Nittos on the back.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I've found to work on street tires is to duplicate the launching technique you do on the street. Launch about 2-2.5K RPMs, just so there is a little wheel spin, and hold the gas pedal right where it is until it stops spinning and then mash it. The track I go to is usually a skating rink anyways, so that is the best I can do. 2.1 60' on Toyos on a lowered car (~1.5-2" drop all around).

Steve
Old 12-02-2004, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

You want enough throttle to spin the tires a little, but get the car moving before you floor the gas. These cars need a lot of left foot work with street tires. I've gotten a 1.9 on these shitty Kumhos.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Chris J, your car just has too much power for the tires you are using. F1's will stick ok, but they need to be very hot to work. I got a 2.0 on the F1's, but then my car does not have as much power as yours.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Motorboater

I basically sidestep my clutch at 7000-7200 rpm.

works good for me
Old 12-02-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5K dump the clutch with slicks, powershift it's all good just ignore the whining rear end and enjoy the 11.8s' without having to get towed home, street tires I would'nt waste my time. On DR's can't seem to get into the 11's

Quick Reply: Launch techniques