Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Drill Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drill Mod?

I have been thinking about doing the drill mod to my m6 and I was just wondering if it is going to hurt anything, I mean GM must have put that restricter there for a reason. Will it make it jumpy and take off rough?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-10-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the reason is so that you miss third and have to spend major cash at the GM dealer getting your **** fixed.

But seriously, I dont know why they put it there. I'm planning on having mine done this winter. Many, many people have it done.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris3385
I have been thinking about doing the drill mod to my m6 and I was just wondering if it is going to hurt anything, I mean GM must have put that restricter there for a reason. Will it make it jumpy and take off rough?

Thanks,
Chris
What is the drill mod? I searched and didn't see anything on this. Enlighten me please!!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Launching!

The drill mod is....
1. remove mastercylinder
2. dissconnect quick disconnect line from trans. use a tiny flathead screwdriver
3. pull everything out
4. disconnect line off the bottom of the master cylinder using a small punch and hammer
5. with a eighth inch drill bit, stick it down the end of the line that connects to the master cylinder till it stops. there is your restriction.
6. drill that restrictor with bit.
7. flush line vilolently, you will have to push in the valve on the other side to remove fluid. I used shop air and blew it out.
8. fill line with fluid
9. fill master cylinder with fluid. this you will have to figure out, it's pretty easy.
10. put line back on mastercylinder
11. bench bleed it to let air in the system, out.
12. re-install and should work. It did for me in less then an hour.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow14U
The drill mod is....
1. remove mastercylinder
2. dissconnect quick disconnect line from trans. use a tiny flathead screwdriver
3. pull everything out
4. disconnect line off the bottom of the master cylinder using a small punch and hammer
5. with a eighth inch drill bit, stick it down the end of the line that connects to the master cylinder till it stops. there is your restriction.
6. drill that restrictor with bit.
7. flush line vilolently, you will have to push in the valve on the other side to remove fluid. I used shop air and blew it out.
8. fill line with fluid
9. fill master cylinder with fluid. this you will have to figure out, it's pretty easy.
10. put line back on mastercylinder
11. bench bleed it to let air in the system, out.
12. re-install and should work. It did for me in less then an hour.
And this is done for what reason? Thanks for sharing with me!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joker
And this is done for what reason? Thanks for sharing with me!
Joker, the fluid cycles through that line when you use the clutch. If you, for instance, are trying to make a quarter mile pass and are shifting frequently at high rpm. The restrictor can slow the fluid flow enough that it wont be able to catch up to how quickly your hitting the clutch. Thus you will, for instance, hit the clutch and go for third gear and wont be able to find it because the clutch wont actually be disengaged even though the pedal is down. Because the hydraulic fluid was *restricted* and could not make it back around in time, no fluid = hydraulic no worky, resulting in a pissed off driver.

BTW, Joker is your Z a hardtop?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:27 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they put that restriction in there, not to make it slow the fluid as you press the clutch pedal, but to slow the fluid coming back to the master as you release the clutch pedal. this prevents the clutch from engaging too quickly and breaking somthing, and to make clutch engagement smoother.

like say someone just rev's the thing to 6k and side-steps the *stock* clutch as hard as they can, it might break somthing, and might be under warrenty, and THEY might have to shell out cash to fix it.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
BTW, Joker is your Z a hardtop?
Yep I have a hard top, never was a fan of t-tops or convertibles. Just my preference. Plus the hard top provides a more solid body structure and protection in case of an accident in my opinion.