Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutchless tranny for street?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutchless tranny for street?

Hi, i am in the middle of a project with a BBC in a 98+ trans am, I wanna go with a clutchless tranny (g-force, liberty, etc.) I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these for street driving. thanks.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Transam427
Hi, i am in the middle of a project with a BBC in a 98+ trans am, I wanna go with a clutchless tranny (g-force, liberty, etc.) I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these for street driving. thanks.
I've driven a proshifted T56 on the street. It wasn't bad once I got used to it, but the true clutchless (except for planetary/band trannys) tend to kick out of gear when you back off. You can't use compression braking with them.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:54 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by critter
I've driven a proshifted T56 on the street. It wasn't bad once I got used to it, but the true clutchless (except for planetary/band trannys) tend to kick out of gear when you back off. You can't use compression braking with them.

I have a Liberty's and you could not drive it on the street period. It would be very annoying.

Matt
Old 12-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Banned

i'd look to a jerico or lenco. nothings cooler than slapping paddles on the street.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

yeah, but how will the clutchless do on the street?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You cannot one drive on the street( in traffic anyway) If by clutchless you mean the operator does not engage a clutch / the drive is RPM set(dump)then just think about how you are going to do that.I don't even see how this is fun let alone cool.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wouldnt this be like a TH400? No clutch but you still have control of the gear.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Totally agree.
Im using Liberty's setup aswell. Ive recently learned when they say true clutchless, DONT SHIFT W/O. Atleast just tap it, touch it, lightly blow on it are something, because every time I try shifting w/o I wind up replace a shift shaft cotter key for some reason.
I think the Pro shifted tranny is plenty streetable, Its all a matter of opinion.
You will have to learn how to drive again in traffic. I only PRO SHIFTED 3rd and 4th, the ones I neaded the most. The good thing about that is if 3 and 4 give me problems I can just skip shift to 5th. Im not in 1&2 long enough to have them proshifted w/ 4.11 gears and a 93 t56 w/ lower ratios than most.

PS. Oh ya, transam427, If you go that route just make sure through normal driving keep your hand on the stick, it will pop out when you let off. In some cases I can be cruising in 3rd, let off the gas, tap it again and itll shift into 4th for me.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

You can always get a bruno! And put a jeffco trans behind it.

http://www.brunotransmission.com
Old 12-20-2004, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

I knew about the poppin out of gear thing, and no engine braking, but that wouldn't be that bad, if these are the only major issues with a clutchless tranny, I think I could work around that. Any others?
Old 12-20-2004, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

I knew about the poppin out of gear thing, and no engine braking, but that wouldn't be that bad, if these are the only major issues with a clutchless tranny, I think I could work around that. Any others?
I don't think you have thought this out. Say your are rolling along the bouldevard in 3rd at 40 or so and the light ahead is red, so you lift the throttle and the trans kick into neurtal and the engine drops to idle as you start to brake. The light changes green. You are now going 30, in neutral, with the engine at idle, and no synchros to help you find a gear. So, which gear to you try for and how much do you blip the throttle so try to engage that gear without horrible grinding noises?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

I don't think you have thought this out. Say your are rolling along the bouldevard in 3rd at 40 or so and the light ahead is red, so you lift the throttle and the trans kick into neurtal and the engine drops to idle as you start to brake. The light changes green. You are now going 30, in neutral, with the engine at idle, and no synchros to help you find a gear. So, which gear to you try for and how much do you blip the throttle so try to engage that gear without horrible grinding noises?
Can you not use the clutch in that situation?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Dont those things whine like crazy though? That alone would make me not want to street it.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Can you not use the clutch in that situation?
Sure. In fact you have to. But without synchros, it grinds going into gear unless the speed of the two gears is matched. That is why you have to blip the throttle with the clutch out, then push it in, and try to get it in gear. Have you ever tried to grab first while moving with an old car with three speed? Or tried to shift a big truck?

In fact, it will probably grind and complain unless you shift fast and with conviction when upshifting. Even using the clutch, my proshifted transmission grinds a bit upshifting. I have to either shift real fast or real slow to avoid grinding. I usually push the clutch in, pull it into neutral, let the clutch out, count to three, push the clutch in, and slide it in gear. That works nice and is quiet when upshifting. Down shifting? I generally don't do that unless I am stopped.

Now, if you got a panetary/band transmission like a lenco, you don't have any of this hassle. They are nothing but a manually controlled automatic. Instead of having a hydraulic cylinder in the trans clamp a band around a drum to get the next gear, you pull a lever.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Dont those things whine like crazy though? That alone would make me not want to street it.
Depends on your definition of "crazy". Any trans with straight cut gears, which most of the race transmissions have, clutchless or not, will make noise. Some folks don't mind it, some do.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

So could you use a lenco clutchless on the street?
Old 12-21-2004, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

So could you use a lenco clutchless on the street?
Sure. A Lenco would be a lot better to drive on the stree than the other kind of tranny, like Liberty, Richmod, G-Force, etc. In fact, you often see Lencos in the Pro Street cars in the car rags but seldom one of the other kind. Just look for the forest of levers when you look at the pictures
Old 12-21-2004, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Sure. A Lenco would be a lot better to drive on the stree than the other kind of tranny, like Liberty, Richmod, G-Force, etc. In fact, you often see Lencos in the Pro Street cars in the car rags but seldom one of the other kind. Just look for the forest of levers when you look at the pictures
How do you know all this stuff critter?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

How do you know all this stuff critter?
LOL! 50 years of being a gearhead!
Old 12-21-2004, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

LOL! 50 years of being a gearhead!
lol, i appreciate the help. thanks.

Quick Reply: clutchless tranny for street?