Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possibly a rear main seal leak and syncro problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possibly a rear main seal leak and syncro problem

I am very frustrated right now.

I noticed that my there is wetness near my the rear of my oil pan near my tranny. I searched and posted a while back and the info pointed me in the direction of the rear main or a throw out bearing.

-Are these hard to change?

I realize the tranny will have to be dropped. I read the GM service link that was floating around here and it ddin't seem to difficult to drop the tranny.

Another problem I am having is that I have to slip the clutch very slowly while shifting into second. No problem at WOT with 1st to 2nd but any time around town, normal driving, if I come off the clutch too fast (right at the top) the car gets jerky. 2-3 and 3-4 I can come off the clutch at a steady rate.

-Does this sound like a synchro? I never grinds.
-Is it hard to change them?
-Are they really that expensive ($300)

My car is still under factory warrenty but I already got turned away at a Chevy dealer for cross-warrenty problems, got turned away at Pontiac dealer because they didn't even want to see it (headers and custom exhaust), and I am awaiting two "let's see what it looks like" appointments at another two other dealers on Sat. and Mon. We will see what happens but I am may be doing this myself or have a shop do it.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

This sucks because I took vacation for 2 weeks (12/17-1/2) to do a cam install and others and have been trying all this week to get into a dealer. Thanks