Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram Clutch Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
This is crazy.... I was going with RAM 910 HD since i blew two SPEC 3's and the Mcloed is on the way out because its slipping. What clutch should i get now?!!!!
I love my RAM VDS 910, (4500 track miles is alot of miles and abuse on any clutch)
Old 12-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Teching In

I'm not saying it wasn't stupid to race with the clutch slipping,but the clutch had only 4500 mi. and had been to the track only once and had been driven on bfg kdws for the rest of the time.Not to mention the chatter before it blew,however the point is that after it was taken out and sent to ram to be COMPLETELY REBUILT ,I was quoted 150... I had to pay double,I was told a couple days....it turned in to weeks.When it finally came back it was rebuilt with only 1/4 of it's pad life left and when it was installed again to factory spec it slipped again!!!When they took out the trans AGAIN and reshimed it, it drove great...untill it got heat in it.Then it wouldn't go into gear at all.This is all with a brand new trans and installed by a very reputable shop[TTP}Not to mention I sat in another car at the shop with a spec clutch and it has half the peddle effort of the ram and it felt much more positive[not mushy].Now when you add in spec's customer support....my votes already in, service is everything.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: no stops signs, no speed limits .... on a highway to hell

this is my old car he now owns. The slave is original to the car so it is now about 6 years old.

I don't believe what he is saying about the clutch, to me it is aweful decent of Ram to offer to rebuild the clutch for that price. I would have charged full price because it is on it's third owner and who knows what has happened to it. Also, how do you measure having 1/4 of the life left?

Didn't you buy a new disk? If not, that is your fault not RAM's. This is an agressive disk and has been raced quite a few times. Lastly, did your installer install it properly? Ever think that they fucked up and are trying to blame it on RAM? LOL been down that road before
Old 01-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Teching In

is it necessary to replace the slave cylinder when putting in a new clutch? how do you know if its going out? im thinking of buying a ram hdx for my Lt1 & putting it in myself.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fireball
Using a modified stock master (made it adjustable) I haven't had any problems for the 2 years its been in the car

LOTS of 1/4 mile passes
please go into detail. pm if you'd like
Old 01-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
please go into detail. pm if you'd like

or.. go into detail and not pm
Old 01-07-2005, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dawgnasty
or.. go into detail and not pm

I would like to know about this as well since I will be replacing my hydraulics soon and if I can save a little bit of money instead of getting the adjustable McLeod then that would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

you tear it apart...cut down the internal stop (its a cone which the top needs to be cut off). Cut off the heim joint on the top, thread the rod with a die and screw in a threaded heim joint.

Here is what I followed:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/73706-stock-master-made-adjustable-pics.html
Old 01-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Default Sorry Java,but The Ram Sucks

Originally Posted by java
this is my old car he now owns. The slave is original to the car so it is now about 6 years old.

I don't believe what he is saying about the clutch, to me it is aweful decent of Ram to offer to rebuild the clutch for that price. I would have charged full price because it is on it's third owner and who knows what has happened to it. Also, how do you measure having 1/4 of the life left?

Didn't you buy a new disk? If not, that is your fault not RAM's. This is an agressive disk and has been raced quite a few times. Lastly, did your installer install it properly? Ever think that they fucked up and are trying to blame it on RAM? LOL been down that road before
Before the slave blew the clutch was very chattery and was pretty unstreetable[especialy in traffic].Even given it's age , you were the only one to take it to the track and the clutch had less than 5000mi. on it.The slave blowing probably had to do with age,thats true.However $150 was a great offer for a totally rebuilt clutch,they said it was half price and would only take a couple of days.IT TOOK THREE WEEKS,IT TURNED OUT TO BE $300+[I suppose that IS full price]AND WHEN IT GOT BACK THE CLUTCH PADS WERE NOT AS NEW IN THICKNESS.After TTP installed it to factory specs it slipped again!!then when they fucked around with the shims it was starting to have trouble going into gear.I'm sure if I or TTP wanted to keep on removing the trans and readjusting the shims they to might have rigged it to work to.You yourself had to butcher a rectangle into the bottom of the bellhousing so you could adjust the shims,not the best idea given all the dirt that got up in there and it developed a small crack,so much for proper installation.Lastly given TTP's great reputation as a sponser and the service thay have given me I don't question there integrety for a second.

Quick Reply: Ram Clutch Nightmare