Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stuck in gear, then popped out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stuck in gear, then popped out?

Last night I powershifted 4th (i do a lot...) and after I let out.. normally it will come out of a gear without even hittin the clutch.. well it wouldnt.. so I depress the clutch... then tap the shifter... nothin, solid... so I hit it harder.. and keep whackin it, and it finally pops out of 4th to my relief. So... I proceed the beat the everlovin dogsnot out of it (about 6 sets of 2-4 powershifts) and no probs at all.

any ideas why it would stick in the gear like that.. then pop out? its never done it before... nor since.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:50 AM
Launching!

tttttttt
Old 01-18-2005, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Mine done that and it broke a syncro, It didnt work fine after that though. It may have overtraveled and slid out of the key detent. this may be BS cause its just my opnion. When I tore it down I found 3rd gear syncro broke and 2 chewed up keys in the bottom.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did it twice before I put in my Hurst Billet Plus. Since then I have had no problem with it getting stuck in gear, but it will occassionally grind 3rd until it warms up. I am sure it will need a rebuild one of these days, but for now it is ok.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your slider keys popped out on you. Had the same happen to me a few weeks ago. It's working fine now too, but, we have broken parts in our trannies! Will be tearing mine down as soon as funds allow. Will be replacing the 3-4shift fork with a steel one, using billet slider keys, and getting a shifter with stops(supposed to keep this from happening again)
Old 01-19-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does it every now and then at the track. Take it easy on the shift man, you are over-shifting the car (going beyond what it takes to engage 4th gear). I still do it too. You might have a bent shift fork, or any of the above mentioned problems. If you have an aftermarket shifter, adjust the bump stop so you have a little less travel. That might solve the problem.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Launching!

i guess i could take it easier... but thats no fun.

i have a B&M ripper... how do I adjust the bump stop??

Thanks all

Quick Reply: Stuck in gear, then popped out?