Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS6 clutch still chattering after 1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 clutch still chattering after 1500 miles

WEll, this is my 2nd LS6 clutch. The first time I had a performance shop install it and they did a fantastic job...there was no chatter ever and the clutch lasted a solid 50,000 miles.

This time around, the performance shop was closed, so I had Cottman Transmissions install the clutch and they did a not so great job. They didn't bleed the clutch hydraulics, the transmission is vibrating really bad in gears 1-4, and the clutch is chattering even after 1500 break-in miles.

I took the car back to them twice and each time they refused to remove the tranny, but said they "rebled the hydraulics". Well, I checked the reservior and it is full of black fluid, so I am in the process of replacing the hydraulics as we speak.

I am going to pull the trans soon to replace the slave. Any ideas why this LS6 clutch would chatter so bad? Or what the vibration problem is in gears 1-4?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to replace the hydraulics. Black fluid color is normal. The vibration can be traced back to the pilot bearing. It's either shot, or not even there.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
You don't need to replace the hydraulics. Black fluid color is normal. The vibration can be traced back to the pilot bearing. It's either shot, or not even there.

Should have mentioned that the hydraulics were leaking air when the MityVac was put on it...constant air bubbles. Shifting was notchy at best. I replaced the master cylinder and it improved significantly, but is still notchy. I have bled it twice and I still get some air bubbles when using the MityVac. I need to remove the trans to see what is causing the vibration anyway...so I am going to replace the slavfe while I'm in there.

Black brake fluid isn't normal...the fluid should be clear or may have a slightly yellow tint. Black fluid means contamination or in the case of the braking system it means burnt fluid.

I'll check out the pilot bearing while I'm in there...thanks for the advice! I gave them a new pilot bearing to install....maybe they "forgot". I also gave them ARP bolts for the flywheel...I wonder if they "forgot" those as well?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Should have mentioned that the hydraulics were leaking air when the MityVac was put on it...constant air bubbles. Shifting was notchy at best. I replaced the master cylinder and it improved significantly, but is still notchy. I have bled it twice and I still get some air bubbles when using the MityVac. I need to remove the trans to see what is causing the vibration anyway...so I am going to replace the slavfe while I'm in there.

Black brake fluid isn't normal...the fluid should be clear or may have a slightly yellow tint. Black fluid means contamination or in the case of the braking system it means burnt fluid.

I'll check out the pilot bearing while I'm in there...thanks for the advice! I gave them a new pilot bearing to install....maybe they "forgot". I also gave them ARP bolts for the flywheel...I wonder if they "forgot" those as well?
Brake fluid that's been in your slave cylinder after awhile will turn black. It's normal. There's plenty of heat around the clutch and trans to burn it.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

I just replaced the clutch in my 2000 Trans Am this past weekend. I have 150 miles on it now and the shatter has subsided almost completely. The only time I even notice is when I start off really slow and it's gone by the time the clutch is fully disengaged.

As for why I even changed the clutch: well, I have some really bad squealing/metal-to-metal sound coming from the clutch as I would disengage. I assumed the clutch was spent. Turned out it was the pilot bearing that had completely disintegrated that was causing the noice. So, new pilot bearing, Z06 clutch, new transmission mount, and I'm all set again. I had already replaced the slave cylinder back in November. Car drives like it was new again!!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
Brake fluid that's been in your slave cylinder after awhile will turn black. It's normal. There's plenty of heat around the clutch and trans to burn it.
Is it safe to say that, if a shop replaced the fluid in the clutch hydraulic system, the fluid would still appear "fresh" after driving about 5 minutes to get home?

I realize that over time the fluid will turn dark due to the heat, but new, clean fluid shouldn't be black and gritty after driving for 5 minutes. I stand by my original diagnosis that they didn't flush the fluid even once, although they said they flushed it three times.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Did they rebleed or do an entire flush. Usually, they would just bleed it, and not flush the entire hydraulics.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Chatter:
1. Improperly cleaned clutch and or disc, flywheel.
2. Flywheel surface not true and clean (burned, cracked, etc.)
2. Improperly tightened pressure plate
3. Bad Pilot bearing
4. Bad clutch
5. Bad clutch design
Old 01-28-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Chatter:
1. Improperly cleaned clutch and or disc, flywheel.
2. Flywheel surface not true and clean (burned, cracked, etc.)
2. Improperly tightened pressure plate
3. Bad Pilot bearing
4. Bad clutch
5. Bad clutch design

1. I couldn't say if they prepped it properly or not.
2. New GM flywheel, so hopefully it was true.
2. Couldn't say about this either...I gave them ARP bolts to use as replacements.
3. I gave them a new pilot bearing to use...maybe they installed it backwards ot left it out completely....again I couldn't say.
4. It's possible the clutch was damaged during shipping and they just installed it anyway. It's a GM LS6 clutch....the first TWO that Scoggin Dickey shipped were traashed due to very poor packaging. The third was drop shipped directly from Luk and was supposed to be in the original vacuum packaging, but I never saw it.
5. I've used the LS6 clutch before, and it performed well.

All of these are leading me to pull the transmission myself at a friends shop (he offered the shop after I had the clutch installed ). If I discover that they didn't do all the items that they charged me for, I'll send their parent company a nice letter explaining my disappointment.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

4. It's possible the clutch was damaged during shipping and they just installed it anyway. It's a GM LS6 clutch....the first TWO that Scoggin Dickey shipped were traashed due to very poor packaging. The third was drop shipped directly from Luk and was supposed to be in the original vacuum packaging, but I never saw it.

I had the same problem when ordering mine from SDPC. The second one came in and was also slightly damaged. Not so bad that it couldn't be used, but I was just sick of wanting to do the clutch. I have very slight chatter from a slow start, but it's gradually disappearing. I hope!

Brian

Quick Reply: LS6 clutch still chattering after 1500 miles