Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed McLeod. What is the break-in procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Installed McLeod. What is the break-in procedure?

First off I must say that this clutch really is nice and easy when driving normally. The pedal pressure is a bit higher than before but I'm sure I'll get accustomed to it. It slips very easily when driving normally. Definitely not what I was expecting. What is the suggested break-in procedure and how many miles do I need to put on before I can really try it out?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm... did you get this installed at F-Body Central?

Anyways, just take it easy for the first 500 miles. Don't just take it on a long trip for 500 miles b/c the clutch needs to be engaged/disengaged to get worn in for the first few hundred miles. Just take it around town a lot. It's ok to get on it somewhat as long as you're already in the gear and not slamming gears. I know it's hard as hell to not slam gears with a new clutch but you just have to take the hit now for its longevity. After 500 miles or so... eliminate all tread from the tires
Old 02-08-2005, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply. FBC did do the install for me. So far the clutch seems great. I can't believe how smoothly it engages. You're right, it will be hard has hell trying to keep myself under control.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a McLeod clutch too... you're right about there being more pressure than stock, but that's a good thing. I was also surprised with just how easy it is to slip it when you want to, and how quickly it grabs when you want it to.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big dave
FBC did do the install for me.
they may be nice people,better double check thier work.Ive had alot of bad luck w/ them but ls1 tech isnt for bad mouthing people.so to get back to the topic.500 miles of easy driving is what mcloed recommends. I know its hard but a must.just take it out everynight for 20 miles until 500 miles is reached.sometimes cruising will keep you out of trouble.also when i called mcloed about brakein period. I asked about if the car only see's track time and they told me to get in 20 easy passes before letting hrrrr rip.hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Installed McLeod. What is the break-in procedure?