Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod/Ram adj. Masters....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mcleod/Ram adj. Masters....

Ive almost finalized my decision to go w/ the Ram Powergrip HD instead of the spec 3. I did a search to figure out which adj master was better, found a lot of people who didnt like the ram adj. Is mcleod really that much better?? I also found a few threads cutting up on the Mcleod...is this another one of those it all depends parts? What do you guys think i should go for? I'm also doing the upgrade to the slave, (01 GM slave) for my 99 SS...bolt ons and exhaust, next year heads and cam. Any opinions appreciated as i dont know too much about the hydrolics.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the Ram... it's basically an adjustable factory master whereas the McLeod is an aftermarket master.

There are a few cases in which the McLeod master worked perfectly, but there are more people that have had problems with it than not, including myself. I'm actually going to switch over to the Ram as soon as I decide to actually order one.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what i'm leaning towards b/c its so much cheaper, but if the mcleod is better, i'd deffinatly save the extra money, looking for all experienced opinions on this...anyone else?
Old 02-15-2005, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

never had a single problem outta my Mcleod master, and it had over 60K miles on it when I sold it. It was used in conjunction witht he Ram 402/6130 set-up, with the updated slave cyl.. I also performed the drill mod to mine before installing it. The price on the Mcleods now are absolutely frickin ridiculous!! Back when I bought mine, approx. ~4 years ago from Thunder, they were $199.99! :o
Old 02-15-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, why the huge increase...do you think its worth the extra money? Ive heard the only reason its better than ram is b/c its rebuildable or something?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

that and it's made from billet. there's no plastic in it.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rams adj. master has plastic in it!? Interesting....sounds like so far obviously mcleod is the better way to go?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

I have had a McLeod in my car for about a year now... been through two masters and 3 slaves and still the problem persists. Did the drilll mod when I installed the first McLeod. It felt great for about and hour then it got totally mushy. I bench bled it, gravity bled it, bled it through the bleeder on the slave, and bled it using a MityVac..... but guess what, I STILL have the same ole problem. Also the fuid was black about a week after I installed the first master. When I bang gears, sometimes it sticks to the floor, sometimes it doesn't, yet it always has half the full pedal movement of play in it. But I can usuallu pump it up and it returns to "normal", meaning the mushiness returns.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had my McLeod adjsutable master for almost 3 years. Never had a problem with it (so far). Only complaint I have is that even adjusting the rod as short as it will go, the pedal and enagement point are still to high for my preference.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UnbelievabLS1
never had a single problem outta my Mcleod master, and it had over 60K miles on it when I sold it. It was used in conjunction witht he Ram 402/6130 set-up, with the updated slave cyl.. I also performed the drill mod to mine before installing it. The price on the Mcleods now are absolutely frickin ridiculous!! Back when I bought mine, approx. ~4 years ago from Thunder, they were $199.99! :o
Yeah...and tell 'em who did the install on 'at bad bwaahh.

Same here my McCleod adjustable MC has been working great for 3 years. I have worn out(blown up) a few different clutches and slaves but the MC is still kickin.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why cant anyone make a quality product that i dont have to worry about "maybe it will break maybe it wont".....thanks for all the input but i'm still having trouble putting it to good use. Seems like AGAIN its a hit or miss situation w/ m/c's. Some have had them and lasted, some had them and they blew 3 times. ARRGGG I was told that if i am getting a Ram Clutch than i should hands down get the RAM master, mcleod clutch then i should get the mcleod master...makes sense? at this point i guess i'm just experimenting w/ luck.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

IV had the Ram in my car for about 4 months. got it from Futral motorsports. it already had the drill mod done to it. No probs yet.

Kyle
Old 02-16-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

well i had one ram and it worked fine but i sold it when i sold my last m6 setup to go to a TH400 well now im going back to a M6 so i bought another ram, well now the master wont build pressure and im guessing has a leak somewhere in it soo im not too sure what to think about the ram right now. im spose to be getting another ram tom to see if the one have have was defective.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everyone that I've talked to has had a 50/50 split, even between the Spec and Ram clutchs. Most have said Ram MC with Spec 3, and Mcleod with the Ram Level IV HD powergrip.
I'm completely lost on the whole thing.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:13 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After going through 4 differnet clutches and two M/C's I've come to the conclusion that an adjustable master in many cases is more of a problem than it is worth. The McLeod has more fluid volume, and thus pushes the Slave further than stock. This casues some clutches to overtravel. I think its fine for a McLeod clutch which requires this, but on most other clutches I think its a waste.

The adjustment that many folks place on the clutch to adjust pedal in many cases causes the clutch to already be "pre-loaded" which means the clutch is already "pushed in" slightly so you ride on the clutch.

We recently moved back to a stock M/C and overall we're much happier with the clutch operation now.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the input J-Rod.

I'm in a weird situation, as im on the stock ls6 clutch (01 car) and after LTs and Duals I can only get through 2 gears WOT with a decent shift, sometimes... Then other times I can shift through 4th no problems, yet afterward the pedal is very loose, and takes a few pumps to get back to normal. It has felt somewhat different in the mornings lately too, with more travel of the pedal downward before it will disengage. It seems as if several are running a Spec 3 w/ Ram MC and the Ram powergrip hd with the mcleod. I'm just afraid of throwing money away on a clutch and MC when one or the other may fail due to the other...
I've heard from two people that I would trust say different things, such as the spec and ram setup and the ram clutch and mcleod setup... Too damn confusing really.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Put my mcleod in 2 weeks ago. Pedal bled it to the point where it was close, mity vac bled it the rest of the way. No problem. Put about 300 miles on it and it works great.

Brandon
Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Again it sounds like hit or miss...has anyone had to deal w/ "warranties" due to m/c or clutch failure? I guess as long as they cover whatever problem i may have from a manufacterers defect its ok. Any of you guys that have had problems, could it have been improper break in or set up? Or was it always deffinatly b/c the part was junk in ur opinion?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Mcleod here with no problems. its alot more stout piece then the stocker
Old 02-22-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Again it sounds like hit or miss...has anyone had to deal w/ "warranties" due to m/c or clutch failure? I guess as long as they cover whatever problem i may have from a manufacterers defect its ok. Any of you guys that have had problems, could it have been improper break in or set up? Or was it always deffinatly b/c the part was junk in ur opinion?
I got one warrantied a few months back.... it really wasn't too much of a hassle. It was bought from Thunder , so the warranty went through them. I just had to buy a new one, then my money would be refunded once it was returned.

Quick Reply: Mcleod/Ram adj. Masters....