Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Z06 clutch sticking??? WTF!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005 | 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Default Z06 clutch sticking??? WTF!!!!!

I have been driving my car aggressively the last couple of days and when I get through the gears hard from first all the way to fourth the clutch almost doesn't want to come off the floor when I get out of it in fourth. One of the times it actually stuck to the floor for about 6 seconds before coming up. It is a fairly new clutch on a 2001 bolton t/a. It has about 7,000 miles on the clutch and was installed by the dealer. All components are new including plate, diac, flywheel, etc. It has 42,xxx miles and haven't taken this clutch to the track yet. The old one had 35k on it and was still fine when it was replaced by the dealer(long story but covered under warranty). Anyway only does this under hard acceleration through a couple of gears. Any thoughts????!!!
Old 03-09-2005 | 10:09 PM
Banned

that same exact thing happened to me and then i decided to get a new clutch.
Old 03-09-2005 | 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've come across this type of thing while casually browsing the forum. I'm sure a bit of searching will help you find an answer. This is the first time i've heard of this problem with an oem clutch on a newer f-bod. I want to say "drill mod" because thats what everyone seems to say, but i've never done too much looking into it, never had the problem myself.
Old 03-10-2005 | 12:18 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by banks01ws6
I have been driving my car aggressively the last couple of days and when I get through the gears hard from first all the way to fourth the clutch almost doesn't want to come off the floor when I get out of it in fourth. One of the times it actually stuck to the floor for about 6 seconds before coming up. It is a fairly new clutch on a 2001 bolton t/a. It has about 7,000 miles on the clutch and was installed by the dealer. All components are new including plate, diac, flywheel, etc. It has 42,xxx miles and haven't taken this clutch to the track yet. The old one had 35k on it and was still fine when it was replaced by the dealer(long story but covered under warranty). Anyway only does this under hard acceleration through a couple of gears. Any thoughts????!!!
sounds to me like you are burning the clutch. Are you "banging & ripping" through gears? My stock one would do that if i really layed into it. Sometimes it smells sometimes it doesnt. so i just replaced it with the newer Spec3. Works great now.
Old 03-10-2005 | 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

My Z06's clutch has done this to me several times
Old 03-10-2005 | 02:12 AM
11 Second Club

My car did this a few times with differnt stock clutchs. Everytime it did it, i would change the clutch and start over, even tho the clutch was still good. Well from what i understand from talking to differnt people about this, is the that its the Pressure plate. It is just really weak. Too many times of this condition happening and you should beable to push the pressure plate fingers down with your thumb. The disk is fine tho, but that does not mean much with a pressure plate thats no good.
Old 03-10-2005 | 02:37 AM
10 Second Club

check your clutch fuild of ot black and not clear drain it flush it and re bleed the whold system. and replace the fuild with real high temp brake fuild as long as it is not silacone based. i use a dot 5 that has a dry temp of 600+ deggres. works for me. and depending on how much you beat on the car depends on how offten you have to do this. alot cheapr than a new clutch everytime
Old 03-10-2005 | 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This happens to a lot of OEM F and Y body clutches. Strangely no one has a definitive answer about what causes it. Some say the slave, but people who have replaced the slave (with the updated part #) have had it return. Some say it's the clutch fluid getting too hot and say that bleeding out the fluid to get new fluid in the system works (temporarily). I think it has something to do with the 'adjusting tabs' on the OEM LUK brand clutches but I can't prove it.

I had this problem with my stock clutch and ended up with a Z06 clutch (and slave) and it hasn't done it since but I don't have that many miles on it yet (<10,000). I would not be surprised if it came back.

I would suggest bleeding the system and doing the in-car pressure plate adjustment that is in the service manual. These are cheap to do.
Old 03-10-2005 | 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

It happens to me I blead the clutch and it goes away for awhile.
Old 03-11-2005 | 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

I hate my Z06 clutch it's so weird. Somedays it will grab like a bitch and spin 2nd shifting around 3K and somedays it will slip badly. I've never seen anything like it.

One day I left out of work and lit up 1st, hit 2nd and the clutch went up in smoke. Later that night I hit 2nd hard and spun all the way through 2nd because the clutch grabbed.
Old 03-11-2005 | 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Drill mod might cure the problem. How many of you guys have done it?
Old 03-11-2005 | 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell, I've done the drill mod, insulated the braided line, replaced the master, bled the system at least 20 times. My clutch still goes to the floor when getting on it and taking it towards redline. The kicker? I've never once smelled clutch and the clutch doesn't slip. I'm guessing something internal, pressure plate or slave. I'm sick of it and replacing everything.
Old 03-11-2005 | 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

I hear ya bro. If you drive it hard you need a durable clutch. Stock clutches are marginal at best.
Old 03-11-2005 | 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

My clutch wont let me hit third when going through the gears fast. I recently bled it and doesnt feel any better. during normal driving everything is fine!
Old 03-11-2005 | 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

My old one did that, then I replaced it and im still breaking in the new OEM one.....

I heard it was the hyrdolics.
Old 03-11-2005 | 04:51 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Apparently:

Drill Mod = Cure All
Old 03-11-2005 | 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

well everyone will love this. my car is a 02 TA WS6 m6. when I rev it real quick to let people know I'm commin when I'm driving the pedal will only come out half way. Also several times when rompin on it the clutch completely fried. SO anyway I take it to the dealer as it is still under warranty. Turns out fluid is black and burnt, full of metal. Replaced synchros, shift fork and some other crap. Oh the clutch is on the way out too, just didnt want to pay 525 for an oem clutch set up so I'll take care of that later.
Old 03-12-2005 | 03:10 AM
TECH Regular

i heard that you dont have to do the drill mod on the 01 and 02......
Old 03-12-2005 | 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Mine is doing the same thing. It is the slave cylinder. Check to see if there is any wet residue on the bottom of your tranny and check your fluid.
Old 03-12-2005 | 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is doing this from time to time and I finally said **** it; next week getting a Ram HD clutch, new slave cylinder, insulating the line, high temp fluid and the drill mod at all once.

According to my buddy (a mechanic) at the dealership, the ZO6/LS1 clutches apparently were intentionally designed to "slip" so as to not bust anything else due to the torque these motors can make. I don't know if he's right or not but everything I've seen says get all of these things done and I should be a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Z06 clutch sticking??? WTF!!!!!