Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ALL McLeod LS1 Hydraulics (Master and Slave)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ALL McLeod LS1 Hydraulics (Master and Slave)

I have completed my installation and made detailed drawings and measurements of a McLeod Master and Slave. I am scanning my slave drawings to post them. I will update soon once the clutch is broken in and I can try some high RPM shifting. My impression over 400 miles of driving is that the all McLeod hydraulics are very smooth.

The basics are as follows:
McLeod Slave #1373 with McLeod Piston #139033-1 (#3 piston).
Spec 3 Pressure Plate Fingers to Bellhousing Face= 2.230"
Slave Bearing Face to Transmission Face with 0.050" shim= 2.095"
Setup Distance= 0.135"

Note: My flywheel is a Z06 that was resurfaced minimally twice and 'zero balanced'. A new flywheel may require a different shim. You should measure your specific distances. I wanted to achieve a 0.125" setup distance minimum. This is for clearance as your clutch wears.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Awesome bro...post em up as soon as you can.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

I finally have the Spec 3 broken in. I was able to make some high RPM shifts and really get the feel of the new setup. It was great in every respect. The engagement is very smooth and accurate. It worked very well when put to the test banging gears. No problems with high RPM shifts. I'm making powerpoint drawings of the setup and slave dimensions that I'll post as jpegs.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT. Very interested in this McLeod slave cylinder if I ever have to change my new "288".
Old 03-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

I like it a lot so far. I just put it to the test in traffic for 6 hours over three days. It worked great with my spec 3. They can be purchased for about $375.00 at Thunder Racing. I noticed on the Mcleod site that the other bearings and masters are sold as a kit around $500.00. That makes it cheaper than buying them seperately. I'm not sure what the price would be on the 1373 slave and the master. They also mention not to use the slave with the stock pressure plate. This bearing has no preload spring. The link at the bottom of the page brings you to the McLeod site. Go to Hydraulic Throwout Bearings Bolt On. It looks like the second generation bolt on bearing. The 1373 has a quick coupler for the hydraulic line and a regular bleeder.
http://www.mcleodind.com/cgi-bin/fcc...ostname=MCLEOD
Old 03-30-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

AtlantaRTA,
What's the latest on the new clutch and the drawings?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

Ttt
Old 05-17-2005, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

TTT
Old 05-17-2005, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

ttt top very intrested in this, this may change my mind swaping ot a auto
Old 05-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

I have the installation information in a jpg format now. I used my notes and made Powerpoint slides. I also have pictures of the slaves side by side and the McLeod disassembled. I will scan and post them also. I have been very happy with my setup. The Spec 3 and the all McLeod Hydraulics work great. I have several thousand miles and four months on them.
Attached Thumbnails ALL McLeod LS1 Hydraulics (Master and Slave)-mcleodsetup.jpg   ALL McLeod LS1 Hydraulics (Master and Slave)-mcleodsetupnotes.jpg  
Old 05-27-2005, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Awesome!...great work brother...thanks a lot for sharing your R&D with us.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks I hope it helps someone out. If anyone sees a mistake I can edit it. If anyone has a question, I'll try to check back as much as possible and answer. Pictures soon!!

George Holmes (AtlantaRTA)
Old 05-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default McLeod Slave and McLeod Vs. GM '288' (extended)

Here are the pictures!!!
1st: McLeod Slave disassembled, 'O' Ring is on inside of top half that has lines. Both Pistons are shown, the shorter one is stock the longer one is the #139033-1 (#3 piston).
2nd: McLeod Slave Top View GM Quick Coupler on bottom, Standard Bleeder just hangs out of Bellhousing for wrench.
3rd: GM '288' (extended) on Left, McLeod Slave Completely Compressed on right.
Attached Thumbnails ALL McLeod LS1 Hydraulics (Master and Slave)-mcleodslave.jpg   ALL McLeod LS1 Hydraulics (Master and Slave)-mcleodslave2.jpg   ALL McLeod LS1 Hydraulics (Master and Slave)-mcleodrghtgmlft.jpg  
Old 05-30-2005, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Dude! Thanks for the PICS!

Question, it looks like the Mcleod slave has an AN fitting Where the GM line goes into it. What Size is it? 3 or 4 AN?

Thanks!

Brad
Old 05-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

I think it is a 4AN but check with McLeod to be sure.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it you can't use the mcleod slave with a stock pressure plate?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice pics, they sure do make some nice stuff, now how long before that starts to leak on you is the next question? Looks like it's easy to bleed at least
Old 06-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

On the Pressure plate question, the only reason is that I am told by Red at McLeod that the stock pressure plate needs the preload spring to self adjust.
On the slave leaking, I'm not sure who makes the McLeod slave. It has a very good design with it's 'O' Ring built into the top half, (the one that's on the right of the disassembled picture up side down). If you have taken apart the GM slave cylinder you know how their floating 'O' Ring looks. It leaks quite often and sucks in air all the time. The question people might ask is when will their stock GM slave cylinder leak or suck in air. I have been through the McLeod Master and have rebuilt them, so I understand where your concern is coming from. I have checked and my fluid is clean, (no black telltale signs of trouble). Only time will tell about reliability. Do use regular DOT 3 and not synthetic. There are warnings all over about potential trouble.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear it's working out, I'm no McLeod hater by any means, I have owned there single disk setup and now their Street Twin, along with their master (which leaks), and I just replaced my slave with the updated GM one, and it's working great so far. I'm just concerned with time for this McLeod slave, it looks beefy, WELL built, but just not sure on their track record for this custom stuff. I've talked to Red many times, and it just sucks that their Masters have had so many issues when it's a kick *** peice!

Keep us up to date on how it works after so many miles, track runs, etc, that's where I want to know how it works, under HIGH RPM shifting, like 7k rpm, etc.

Thanks for the info and pics again!!
Old 06-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

I have had experience with the McLeod Master. My first one was cutting the cup seal on the reservoir ports. I exchanged it and the new one has been in for about five months. I had problems with my GM slave when I used the Ram Powergrip. It was new and would bleed fine and then suck in air several weeks later. I checked with others and found this has happened many times with New GM slaves. That's what led me to try the McLeod slave actually. I'm can't say exactly why the brand new GM slaves fail. Is it mainly on stronger aftermarket pressure plates? When I pulled the Ram and new GM slave out I said I'm not trusting the GM slave this time. Even understanding that theses aftermarket hydraulics do have quality issues. I had spent so much time on the GM slave I was prepared to take the time. I plan to completely rebuild the unit on every clutch change. With me most aftermarket clutches have lasteed about 30-40K miles. That's how long I hope the seals hold for. If it fails I will update the post and give the details.

Quick Reply: ALL McLeod LS1 Hydraulics (Master and Slave)