Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Double shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HMM most of those three pages are about m6 vs a4 and the usual stuff that goes along with that. Wasnt trying to get that started, think you misunderstood me. Just saying that I cant see why you would do that but then again I havent ever done autocrossing.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B T
You should try driving around in a M6 car ( or just a manual trans ) and not using the clutch at all after first gear by rev matching the rpm for the gear up or down shift.
Try getting a manual car to move without using the clutch ( gotta use the starter to get it to roll and fire the engine then it's all fun from there.
Yeah, i've had to do that twice when i blew my slave cylinder and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. It's not really as hard as it sounds.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Launching!

But, does regular downshifting really hurt the trani that much?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:44 AM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by 8-Pack
HMM most of those three pages are about m6 vs a4 and the usual stuff that goes along with that. Wasnt trying to get that started, think you misunderstood me. Just saying that I cant see why you would do that but then again I havent ever done autocrossing.
>>>>

Wasnt trying to get that started, think you misunderstood me.
>>>>
No problem, I didn't want to go down that road either, I just thought I would include the link if you wanted to see the "whole context" behind the cliff notes.

All I can tell you is, when "I" go into or try and make a hard tight corner and have to slow down, I don't want to just be using the brakes to make the corner with the engine "loose" in the gear I don't need it to be in to help me exit the corner if down shifting (with the CPU ) might cause the car to be a little unstable instead of smooth. like a stick shift is.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DamanZ28
But, does regular downshifting really hurt the trani that much?
No if you do it right. For one if it takes an excessive amount of force to get into the gear you want let the clutch out, rev the engine, put the clutch in and as the rpm fall you will feel it slide right in. Most of the time all you have to do is just bring the rpms up with the clutch in but sometimes it wont coperate. Thats the best way I have found.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Double clutching, is a counter-intuitive term. It is shifting WITHOUT use of the clutch. If the RPMs are at the right speed, you can use it on an upshift or a downshift. It will simply slide into gear with no resistance. But the RPM has to match the wheel speed of the gear you are wanting to go into.

Last edited by Mike 01WS6; 03-24-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what mike said. ive driven semi trucks before, and thats how u get used to doing it, b/c if u use the clutch for 13 shifts, your left leg will get very tired with the heavy cluthes they have