Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

slave cylinder pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default slave cylinder pictures

As requested, here are some pictures of the inner workings of a slave cylinder, my arch nemesis.

Assembled slave:

Compressed slave:

To disassemble the slave, press down on the plastic piece and twist counterclockwise, which incidentally is opposite of the engine rotation. To get the throwout bearing off the plastic peice, just pull on it.

Throwout bearing, plastic piston, spring:

Here's a picture of the bare slave. The rubber oring is still at the bottom of the bore, but you can't really see it.

Here you can see the tab (circled) that the bottom of the plastic piece grabs to keep the slave from overextending. I've also disconnected the quick disconnect from the slave in this picture.

In these two pictures you can clearly see the oring and the inner and outer bores that it travels on. This is a broken slave so hopefully yours will not look like this.

Here's a blurry closeup of the inside of the quick disconnect. You can kind of see the little metal fingers in there. When you push the white plastic ring in, it pushes the metal fingers outwards so they release other half of the quick disconnect.

Last edited by P Mack; 02-14-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GREAT PICS This needs Bookmarked!

Thanks for the pics. It doesn't seem like a highly technical device. I hate how it gives me headaches! Humm...when I bought the new slave I put the oring in. I wonder if I broke the throwout bearing when the car made a poping noise. What I don't understand is why it will hold fluid sometimes and sometimes it drains like a sink. Gonna pull it this weekend and see what the deal is. Good thing I bought the slave and throwout bearing with warrenty's.