Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia clutch is in...WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought this clutch at A&A and he shipped it out quickly. I also spoke with Textralia and he was quite helpful. I haven't installed it because I'm still acquiring parts for the drivetrain /suspension swap for my RS . From what I've heard and seen , it will be a long time before I will need to replace it.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of questions:
~Is the flywheel the stock heavy iron one or a billet steel one?
~What friction material does the clutch use?
~What kind of life can be expected, I know this is very relative but say compared to similar clutches, can you expect it to be longer or just about the same?
~Do you sell a new pilot bearing if I would like to replace it with the install or would I have to buy that separately
~what is the break in procedure?
Thanks

Last edited by BigSteele; 05-09-2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

ya like dude said above, whats the flywheel billet?
Old 05-10-2005, 07:04 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it uses a zero balanced OEM flywheel, so yes the heavier-than-billet one.

TSP sells the pilot bearings for 14 bux i KNOW might ask in the group purchase thread, i'm sure he can get his hands on a chit load of them to ship out with the clutches, seems only logical to me.

check out the sponser/group purchase section for alot of info in the textrailia clutch GP thread. the guy sends the pressure plate an flywheel off for SEPERATE zero balancing, that way you can swap clutches/flywheels and everything will match.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

that kind of makes me mad though, why would they sell an OEM flywheel with the kit saying its so the customers have a consistant setup, but then the distributer seprately balances them so you cange change the flywheel if you want.

Why not just sell the clutch and PP assembly and say if you dont buy the rest of the kit you dont get a warranty. Or at least have an upgrade option for a better flywheel.

Someone said that the OEM flywheel is not susposed to be used for racing applications, like with high rpms and use it is likely to malfunction. I dont know if this is entirely true but I just dont like the idea of buying a "race" clutch" that uses OEM items.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigSteele
that kind of makes me mad though, why would they sell an OEM flywheel with the kit saying its so the customers have a consistant setup, but then the distributer seprately balances them so you cange change the flywheel if you want.

Why not just sell the clutch and PP assembly and say if you dont buy the rest of the kit you dont get a warranty. Or at least have an upgrade option for a better flywheel.

Someone said that the OEM flywheel is not susposed to be used for racing applications, like with high rpms and use it is likely to malfunction. I dont know if this is entirely true but I just dont like the idea of buying a "race" clutch" that uses OEM items.
because they make it with the OEM flywheel (its a great piece BTW, just heavy)..

the distributer is just kind enough to balance it because alot of people here have the same opinion as you... they want a lightweight flywheel..... by balancing them seperatly, you can get a lightweight flywheel and still use their clutch.

Textralia wants a consistant setup to keep their name good.
most of the slipping clutches here are from improper install.... by replacing the hydraulics and flywheel along with the clutch, they eliminate 90% of thoes errors.. giving them a better rep, and giving consistantly good performance.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Just because I haven't specifically seen this addressed...since it uses "stock" hydraulics, is the drill mod recommended (or required)?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:28 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Just because I haven't specifically seen this addressed...since it uses "stock" hydraulics, is the drill mod recommended (or required)?
I asked them this question when I ordered mine. He said that he does not recommend it, but if you have already done it, it should not hurt anything.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Awesome...exactly what I wanted to hear.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:38 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by BigSteele
I dont know if this is entirely true but I just dont like the idea of buying a "race" clutch" that uses OEM items.
what about a 500rwhp motor on stock rockers?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

im not saying a stock flywheel cant hold up to the duty, and it may even be better to have a heavier FW in some cases (drag racing launch, a big cam idle maybe...)

I guess I seem to have a belief that a cast iron OEM FW would be inferior to a similar billet steel one, and that it is annoying to force consumers to get the OEM FW with a high performance clutch

I just seem to have some little problem with this "wonder" clutch that uses OEM parts. I guess I feel like they are making a little money off re-selling somone elses parts (only the OEM parts).

I guess Im wrong, but Im just saying the gut feeling I have about it.

all that being said Im still interested in this clutch
Old 05-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Any problems yet with this clutch? I am looking at it too.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am very skeptical about this clutch. Most people here are desperate for a great clutch and along comes the silver bullet of clutches and it uses OEM parts! You don't even have to do the drill mod!

It doesn't pass the smell test. It seems like the Nigerian clutch scam to me. With that said, 6 months from now we will know the answer.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 991LE
I am very skeptical about this clutch. Most people here are desperate for a great clutch and along comes the silver bullet of clutches and it uses OEM parts! You don't even have to do the drill mod!

It doesn't pass the smell test. It seems like the Nigerian clutch scam to me. With that said, 6 months from now we will know the answer.
So which part of the Aussie clutch is OEM? None that I can see.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Plan B
So which part of the Aussie clutch is OEM? None that I can see.
So is the flywheel OEM or not? There are people in this thread saying that it is the OEM flywheel. That along with the recommendation NOT to do the drill mod.

I hope the clutch is the greatest LS1 clutch ever. All I am saying is that it seems like the same merry go round with a different name.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

I can remember seeing the first posts about this clutch setup and it was represented to be an OEM flywheel and pressure plate. My response was that the price seemed very steep for OEM parts. The silver bullett is supposed to be the clutch disk. No one has explained what exactly the clutch disk is made of. I have to agree with you skeptics. What is it that these folks have discovered that the other guys aren't smart enough to figure out? The story was that the Australians were all using this clutch disk with no problems in the GM Holden cars - thus, tha Aussie clutch. That would mean somebody makes it and it is readily available in Australia. I also hope this setup works and you can bet the other suppliers will be taking a look at this if they haven't done so already. All I can say is that I've looked at Australian LS1 websites and they're all asking the same questions you guys are asking, so not everybody in Australia is running this clutch disk. It isn't making sense to me.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=38604
Old 05-17-2005, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Ok Plan B, I went to the site. The initial posts here were that this clutch had been run in Australia for quite some time now, and all of the Holden LS1's had it. That doesn't appear to be the case. It appears to be as new to the site for Holden's as it is here. It does appear that the initial information on this site that the Textralia is OEM parts was incorrect. So if I read the stuff correctly, Peter developed this clutch and holds the patent rights and it has to be manufactured using processes from several remote locations and that increases the cost. I looked around the US Patent site and there are hundreds and hundreds of patents on friction material and clutches and clutch systems for cars registered since 2000. If in fact the process/system is protected by a patent, why not tell us exactly what makes this clutch system so much better? I don't rule out the possibility that this is the system we should all be running, but I want to know more about it. Exactly how long has this clutch/system been available for the Holden LS1? What is the clutch disk made of? What is the patent # in the US? If it's patented it's protected and the patent application has to give the details explaining why this is different from other products.

There are a bunch of us who just want to know what we're buying before we buy it. That's not unreasonable is it?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:44 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Howdy Ken,

I don't think your question is unreasonable in certain respects. I think having some certainty in the quality of a product you are purchasing is paramount in many folks minds.

I think Pete and the guys at Textralia have answered that with their warranty. A 60 day 100% money back guarantee on the clutch. Thats more than any vendor I'm aware of, and I think it speaks to the level of confidence they have in their product.

As to your question about when and where this clutch came from. The clutch has been run down in Australia for more than 3 years that I know of on Ls1 powered cars. In fact, one is in a daily driver right now which has been through a couple of motor swaps, was behind a Supercharged 422 at one point, and now is behind a car making around 440-450 RWHP. It has over 65K Km on the clutch and about 200 passes on it at the dragstrip.

I won't get into who owns what, or what is patented, as it isn't my company. I can give you some background though.

I met Peter while I was working down in Australia. I went and visited a few of the local shops while I was there with him. We went to the dragstrip, and he showed me a lot about what the guys were doing in Australia.

Many folks saw my posts when I got back as I was quite excited about many of the cool things I saw while I was down there. Things like this speed density tuning, individual runner intakes, eddy current dynos, etc... Things that people scoffed at over here, but 2 years later are starting to really catch on...

Anyhow, Pete and I talk frequently. While talking I was relating to him all the issues we'd had with all the so called "wonder clutches" (McLeod Dual and Exedy Twin) to name the two most prominent. Anyhow, I wasn't the only one who was having issues. Another ones of Pete's "mates" over here with a Z06 was having the same issues. Between a few of us, we've tried pretty much every clutch avaliable for the C5 and pretty much not been completely satisfied with the results. Pete knew they had a clutch that worked well over there, so we discussed the "aussie clutch".

Anyhow, after discussing it, Pete decided to send over one of the clutches they'd been running, as I said for over 3 years now. At that point we'd just wasted a brand new Exedy twin in 5 passes. So, that was a $2200 lesson we didn't want to repeat. But here is the deal. I'd driven a car with the clutch in Australia. I knew the way the clutch felt, and it drove like stock. After discussing it with Pete it was pretty clear I had nothing to loose. The clutch was working fine behind higher HP, heavier cars. So, we put the clutch in, and took it out to test it. The clutch had 200 street miles on it, and immediately went to the drag strip. I think Pete would have preferred me to break it in a bit longer, as it was one of the first units he shipped over here.

Anyhow, the car worked flawlessly unlike everything up to that point we'd had. so, I got in and posted up my account of how the clutch worked. Like everything else Pete had told me up to this point, this turned out to be spot on also. In short I had no reason to question Pete as he'd been straight with me on everything else for several years now. This was no different.

Anyhow, you called into question why Pete holds patents, and why its "new" in Australia. The fact is, the clutch isn't new. What is new, is who is selling them. Thats Pete... The fact that Pete decided to tap into an open market and sell clutches to a group of folks who direly need them doesn't change the fact that the clutch design, materials, etc... isn't new.

AFAIK, the Flywheel is OE, the rest of the componenets are sourced from various suppliers in the aftermarket. Keep in mind that there are only a few componenet mfgs. for clutches out there to start with. Couple that with the limit on exerior changes and you'll see many clutches look alike. Just remember its not whats on the outside, its whats on the inside.

As for Pete and the guys disclosing their trade secrets. Look if it were me, I would be posting up trade secrets. So, I don't think anyone can reasonably expect them to hand off all their work to the public for folks to do with as the please. Let be honest, do you see cylinder head porters giving away port designs for folks to copy. The same thing goes on here.

To be very simplistic. The clutch is better because it will take tons of abuse, clutch slipping, and just general thrashing with no issues.

It feels nearly like stock, and uses stock components. I these things only as positives as I've has to mess with things like adj. masters, and they are just a flat pain to get right.

Just so you know, we have a second Z06 which is being built up, as an all out max effort drag car with high compression and a solid roller. Again, we have the choice of any clutch in the world and we pick, and we choose Pete's clutch as we felt like it was the best clutch we had open to us.

Anyhow, if folks have questions or conecerns, please feel free to foward them to Pete. Pete told me he wants to invite all constructive criticism and feedback. If folks have any questions, post up. Thats what this forum is all about, the sharing of information....

Last edited by J-Rod; 05-17-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the info J-Rod

I still havent seen an answer to a question I posted though, what is the break in procedure? (how many miles before I can take it to the strip to get the best possible life from the clutch)

Quick Reply: Textralia clutch is in...WOW!!!