Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Play?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Play?

Does anyone have a quick description with pictures possibly of how to adjust the clutch play? I left my manual at home, and I need to get this adjusted. It seems to be letting out a lot further out, plus I'm smelling some nice burnt clutch as well.

I'm not sure if this is going to require a new clutch or not, but I thought I'd try this first. Plus, will I need any tools to do this? Bad comparison, but last time I did this was on a Honda CRX, and I could just hand tighten the thing.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quatney
Does anyone have a quick description with pictures possibly of how to adjust the clutch play? I left my manual at home, and I need to get this adjusted. It seems to be letting out a lot further out, plus I'm smelling some nice burnt clutch as well.

I'm not sure if this is going to require a new clutch or not, but I thought I'd try this first. Plus, will I need any tools to do this? Bad comparison, but last time I did this was on a Honda CRX, and I could just hand tighten the thing.
If you've got a stock master cylinder you can't adjust it - it's really that simple. If you smell burnt clutch, then most likely you have at least 3 scenarios.

1. Check fluid level in your master cylinder reservoir - you might be low and thus having engagement problems
2. Your clutch is slipping (either due to the engagement point or it is worn out).
3. Your slave is not disengaging the clutch enough (do you have an 01+ slave?)

Good luck, report back w/ fluid levels and the year of your hydraulics (master and slave cylinders)

- Jeff
Old 06-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws6firehawk109
1. Check fluid level in your master cylinder reservoir - you might be low and thus having engagement problems
2. Your clutch is slipping (either due to the engagement point or it is worn out).
3. Your slave is not disengaging the clutch enough (do you have an 01+ slave?)
Okay, I'm sorry for taking a month to get back, but things come up.

I've checked on a few things and I'm not sure if I'm looking in the place. You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but I was under the impression that there was not a Master and Slave cylinder for the clutch, just the brakes.

I do see two cylinders in there and I've checked the level on the smaller looking one. From what I can tell it's low by a VERY little bit. I don't know if that matters a lot, so I'm hopeing ya'll can help out.

However the clutch does seem to be having more problems now, it's letting out as far as the pedal will reach, and it's getting harder to put it in gears.

Any more advice?