Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bolting LS1 to truck 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolting LS1 to truck 5 speed

I have a 98 LS1 and I want to bolt it up to a 92 1/2 ton truck 5 speed trans.
The questions are: can I just use the 5 speed clutch disk in the LS1 flywheel/pressure plate setup? Is the flywheel face to back of engine block measurement the same as on regular small blocks??

I guess this would be the same as comparing the LS1 flywheel stuff to any old SBC flywheel stuff. Any help would be great.

Thanks for anyones help.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Default same, 1991 gmc sierra with 5 speed, want LQ4 6.0

I've got the same issue. I have a 1991 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton p-up. It has a 5 speed manual transmission, and I want either a LQ4 6.0 or a f-body LS1. will this be a direct bolt up? and can I just "delete" or omit the wire to the trans? or does the ecm need to be reprogrammed for my manual trans? would i be better off, or just as well off with an LT1? seems like LT1s are a tad cheaper. anybody swapped an LS1 engine or maybe just a LT1 intake in one of these pickups? My TBI is acting up, but my 350 runs really solid. Thinking about just getting a used LT1 intake off ebay with injectors, the harness and ecm.

thanks,
james
Old 03-17-2009, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Man this is old, lol.
Yes it bolts up to the trans. But you will need the conversion flywheel and pilot bushing. After that you can use your original clutch/pressure plate release bearing. You need to make or buy motor mounts. You don't have to delete any wires for the trans, in fact you need the VSS (speed sensor wire). Splice in onto your trans connection. It's the one near the back. Or if you get a computer from a standard trans vehicle you won't have the auto connection anyways. You can reprogram any computer to do whatever you want. I use HPTuners, and my Dad's 5.3 is from an auto truck (they all are) and it's hooked up to the 5speed getrag. I just deleted all the auto tranny codes, bumped up the idle to 625 and let er rip. It's his daily driver and has been for over 2 years.
I don't think you can put the LT1 intake on your motor as the LT1 were reverse cooled, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't use an LT1 as a swap motor personnally after working on them. LS series motors are much more friendly, make more power and get better mileage.
A word of caution, the 6.0L is a pig on fuel. If your 350TBI runs really good, you will never get the same mileage with a 6.0. A 4.8, 5.3 and 5.7LS1 are much better on fuel. I think the 5.3 is a really good all around motor, especially the newer ones..like 06, 07 etc. They make more power and torque over the 01 I used, plus you could get the factory duel electric fan set-up out of the truck.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Bolting LS1 to truck 5 speed