Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another Textrailia that doesn't work...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005 | 11:31 AM
Teching In

Default Another Textrailia that doesn't work...

Yesterday, I along with a fellow racer who is a GM tech, installed the Textralia I bought through Andy's.

I had done searches and watched posts about real world experiences with this "new clutch" before I was convinced enough to plop down close to a grand. The reviews had been positive until a couple guys had problems with not being able to disengage it and found out that the vendor had manufactured the disc too large. After this problem was found and corrected, I decided to go ahead and make the purchase.

I have installed a number of clutches starting with the Z06 upgrade with upgraded hydraulics, Z06 again, Clutchmasters, (which ended up having a faulty pressure plate and they refunded my $$) then the Spec Stage 3 which was working fine, except at the track it wouldn't grab when running with MT ET Street Radials. After hearing all the horror stories about the Spec clutches, I read J-Rod's analysis of th Textralia and became very interested.

My clutch is doing the same as the guys who had the wrong disc. Before installing it I, laid the disc onto the PP and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Plus, when ordering through Andy's, he said he'd check to make sure it was the correct diameter before shipping it, since he was aware of the problem with the vendor. I have no air in the system and a nice and firm pedal. When I start the car, and try to put it in gear, it won't go. When I start it in gear, it moves. Maybe the disc is also the wrong diameter?

The car is now sitting in a stall at a dealership and come Monday morning, they (and I) will need a solution to the problem.

Here's a video of my car using the Spec Stage 3. Maybe I should have just replaced it with the same.

http://home.comcast.net/~grussel396/Camaro_0001.wmv
Old 06-26-2005 | 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Have you, or do you plan to contact textralia about this? All the threads I have read about them they seem more that willing to do what ever it takes to help out people with problems. I havent ever dealt with them btw just what I have seen posted. Nice runs in the video man.
Old 06-26-2005 | 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

well since thats happinging from the begining i wonder if you happen to have a sligh alignment problem. enough to where you can put the tranny in but enough to where everything doesnt relese right.
Old 06-26-2005 | 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8-Pack
Have you, or do you plan to contact textralia about this? All the threads I have read about them they seem more that willing to do what ever it takes to help out people with problems. I havent ever dealt with them btw just what I have seen posted. Nice runs in the video man.
I sent them a message and haven't heard back. I'm sure it's because of the time differences. I only posted it in here not to be mean-spirited, but to let others know that a simple clutch install can turn into a situation like this. Plus, I had noticed that someone from Textralia usually views and posts in this section.
Oh and thanks for the compliment.

Originally Posted by rons 00z
well since thats happinging from the begining i wonder if you happen to have a sligh alignment problem. enough to where you can put the tranny in but enough to where everything doesnt relese right.
Just like all the other installs I've done, the tranny went in without a problem. With a hoist & tranny jack, you really don't have to force anything in.
Old 06-26-2005 | 12:12 PM
Launching!

Pm textralia on this site. He is in Dallas and should get back with you soon. I've had mine in for 200 miles with no problems.
Old 06-26-2005 | 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ez98ls1
Pm textralia on this site. He is in Dallas and should get back with you soon. I've had mine in for 200 miles with no problems.
I did. Thanks
Old 06-26-2005 | 01:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Z28SSMAN
Yesterday, I along with a fellow racer who is a GM tech, installed the Textralia I bought through Andy's.

I had done searches and watched posts about real world experiences with this "new clutch" before I was convinced enough to plop down close to a grand. The reviews had been positive until a couple guys had problems with not being able to disengage it and found out that the vendor had manufactured the disc too large. After this problem was found and corrected, I decided to go ahead and make the purchase.

I have installed a number of clutches starting with the Z06 upgrade with upgraded hydraulics, Z06 again, Clutchmasters, (which ended up having a faulty pressure plate and they refunded my $$) then the Spec Stage 3 which was working fine, except at the track it wouldn't grab when running with MT ET Street Radials. After hearing all the horror stories about the Spec clutches, I read J-Rod's analysis of th Textralia and became very interested.

My clutch is doing the same as the guys who had the wrong disc. Before installing it I, laid the disc onto the PP and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Plus, when ordering through Andy's, he said he'd check to make sure it was the correct diameter before shipping it, since he was aware of the problem with the vendor. I have no air in the system and a nice and firm pedal. When I start the car, and try to put it in gear, it won't go. When I start it in gear, it moves. Maybe the disc is also the wrong diameter?

The car is now sitting in a stall at a dealership and come Monday morning, they (and I) will need a solution to the problem.

Here's a video of my car using the Spec Stage 3. Maybe I should have just replaced it with the same.

http://home.comcast.net/~grussel396/Camaro_0001.wmv
]]

I have sent you an email ...please respond to it so we can make things right for you Jeff
Old 06-26-2005 | 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the unit was shipped directly from Andy at A&A, the diameter will be correct!

I’m not certain what the hick-up is, as no person within the company has received an email, phone call or a private message from you regarding this issue.

You can email textralia@iinet.net.au or visit the website www.textralia.com and leave your contact details in the enquiry section. You can also telephone 1-(800)-810-9014 any time. What ever method is easiest for you.

Thank you
Old 06-26-2005 | 04:26 PM
Launching!

Default clutch

try to put in 1st gear with car off, have one guy outside the car and one guy inside, first try to rock the rear tire back and forth, the drive shaft should not move a whole lot, then try to slowly press down clutch, with outside guy try to turn wheel, see if the drive shaft start to move, normally if the disc is too big, when you press down clutch, you can turn wheel just little and you will hear loud clunking noise. if the clutch still not release, you might have to pull it back out and check over.
Old 06-27-2005 | 12:01 AM
Teching In

I just spoke with Jeff regarding my problem and left Pete a voice message.
Old 06-27-2005 | 01:29 AM
10 Second Club

I've got 200 or so miles on mine and no problems. It went in fine. No track time yet but it feels good on the street.
Old 06-27-2005 | 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Glenn- Where do you go to get your clutch installed around here? Also, where di you get your car tuned? I finally got my clutch stuff ordered and the car also needs a tune since the cam went in.

Ryan
Old 06-27-2005 | 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

I had the same problem after about 300 miles, was sent a whole new setup and it turns out a few of the "fingers" on the pressure plate were warped or bent when we pulled it out. Everything is fine now, the car drives awesome.
Old 06-27-2005 | 09:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zinc
Glenn- Where do you go to get your clutch installed around here? Also, where di you get your car tuned? I finally got my clutch stuff ordered and the car also needs a tune since the cam went in.

Ryan
Hi Ryan,
I install my own. When I bought this car, I figured I had better know how to fix it if I'm going to race it. I didn't want to wait for the shop to dictate when they can get around to fixing it.

As far as tuning? It was done at Doug Rippie Motorsports. IMHO, he knows LSx engines inside and out. I could tell that he didn't agree with my choice of camshaft/heads though. Like why would one would go to all that trouble to just put on stock GM parts. But I knew that setup would work best for me and only me.
Old 06-27-2005 | 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black_z
I had the same problem after about 300 miles, was sent a whole new setup and it turns out a few of the "fingers" on the pressure plate were warped or bent when we pulled it out. Everything is fine now, the car drives awesome.
Good for you. Uh...I'd like for mine to drive awesome too!

They've been in contact with me and feel that I have air in the system. I'm going to try bleeding it the conventional way (not with mighty vac) and hope that works. They aren't fans of mighty vac. If they're right, I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong. It's better than pulling it back apart.
Old 06-27-2005 | 11:32 PM
Teching In

Well, just finished thoroughly bleeding the system the "conventional way" and no change. I noticed while I'm underneath the car by the bleeder, the pressure plate squeaks like a little bitch when the pedal is being pumped. lol
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Your problem sounds the exact same as mine was. I would pull the tranny and inspect it.
Old 06-28-2005 | 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Glenn-

Im glad you liked DRM, seeing as how its ways closer than anywhere else to us. Thats where I was thinking of taking it to get tuned, but not that many people around here go there for some reason. Thanks for the tips.

BlackZ- When are you going to be down at Uni next?
Ryan
Old 06-28-2005 | 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I am very close to maybe ordering a textralia but then I hear about more problems with it. I guess wait a bit more and see what the problem is here.

I can't see why mityvac method woudn't work fine. But whatever.
Also can you buy the clutch separately as don't need master,slave or flywheel just pressure plate and disc.
Old 06-28-2005 | 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

ordered mine 3 days ago.
keep us updated please.