Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

$672 to install clutch/upgraded hydraulics???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $672 to install clutch/upgraded hydraulics???

Dropped my car off to have my new Spec III clutch installed and was quoted $672 for install of;

Clutch & Flywheel kit
Install supplied hydraulics and bleed
Valvoline brake fluid
labor to drive clutch to machine shop for match balancing and pick up
labor to change rear main seal, tranny tail-shaft seal & change tranny fluid

All parts and fluids provided by me. Price seems steep to me.

This shop doesn't seem to care for the Spec clutches. They said every Spec clutch they have installed, they have had problems with. They had me sign a waiver, that if anything goes wrong with the clutch, they are not liable and I am responsible for paying for the labor to have it uninstalled.

This shop is highly recommended and I am confident they will do a good job. Just a little shocked at the price. In all, this clutch setup will cost me about $1500 when said and done.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

That's a good chunk of change right there for just the install. I hope they atleast they do it right the first time and nothing goes wrong with the clutch. Just be sure to break it in right, and don't romp on it until the break in period is done with. Is this how much I saved for installing my clutch myself? I guess my front runners were free then if I look at it that way.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

holy ****. thats expensive... i gotta have mine put in soon with flywheel/slave... it better not cost that much. lol
Old 08-16-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems a tad expensive, and I would be weary signing a waiver...they're basically telling you to **** off if you have any problems - whether it is the clutch or a shitty install causing the problem.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keliente
That seems a tad expensive, and I would be weary signing a waiver...they're basically telling you to **** off if you have any problems - whether it is the clutch or a shitty install causing the problem.

Whats the conditions of the waiver? Does it say they are not liable for a faulty install?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

I wish I had the "know how" or tools to do the install myself. That would have saved me some money for other toys, like spings and shocks.

Well, when I initially called the shop told me about the waiver. When I dropped the car off, they told me about the problems they have had with Spec, but they never actually had me sign the waiver... which may help me when I pick up the car with clutch installed and if anything goes wrong down the road. Might be a nightmare though to fight. This is the disclaimer a previous custumer had to sign...

“In the past we have had bad luck with the clutch system you brought us to install (unable to match balance which would cause severe vibrations if not balanced). We are going to have a machine shop match balance the assemble provided it will balance. Either way we are not liable for any problems you may have with the performance or vibrations associated with the clutch system. There is NO WARRANTY. Also the clutch needs 500 miles of normal stop and go driving before any hard driving is done. By signing below I (customer’s name) understand this.”

I doubt I will go back to this shop because of the price. I'd rather drive a little further to save some money... or hire someone that is willing to make a little extra cash.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:07 AM
10 Second Moderator

When I bought my SPEC stg4 I found a sale on new flywheels (GM) $50 from SLP. Bolted it all together and had NO problems even running middle 10s @ 130 sidestepping the clutch at 6600 RPMs. Two years and about 200 passes later and she still bites like a rabid dog. Yup $672 seems high but never had to pay any one else to do anything to my car.

Good luck to ya, Tom
Old 08-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

I picked up my car today. They said that the only problem with the install was balancing the clutch. They said that it was off by so much, that they had to spin the clutch plate and re-pin it down to get it balanced correctly.

They showed me my old clutch. I guess the pilot bearing was shot and worn down to about half it's size. The clutch was so warped, that the bolts wouldn't line up with the holes. Funny... I never really drove it that hard, couple passes, but nothing to bad I don't think.

The new clutch feels great. It's nice to have pressure back in the pedal. The shifts seem a lot smoother. It's as if I am driving a M6 for the first time because the gears feel a little touchy, like 1st and 2nd. From a stop, 1st seems to vibrate and shake the car a bit if I don't give it enough gas. Second shifts smooth, but I have to make sure it fully engages otherwise I end up missing it or it starts to come out. I think I got the hang of it on the way home though. I am just nervous about the break it, because I don't anything to go wrong... this could get expensive! But I'd like to see what it can do.

Price ended up being $674 for everything. Ouch!!

Better be worth it...
Old 08-17-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Woah...thats just labor??? No parts? I used to do them for $200 for the clutch and slave and another $75 for the master
Old 08-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Launching!

That's way to expensive for just the install. I had my clutch installed a while back by an F-body shop here in Charlotte around 250 bucks.

Quick Reply: $672 to install clutch/upgraded hydraulics???