Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ok...w T F

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok...w T F

Tranny slid in like butter. Less than 1/2 of an inch of space left and the bolts WILL NOT thread in at all.... What am i doing wrong now ? I've tried different placements of the jack and nothing..... The bolts line up perfectly into the holes but will not thread...

HELP!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

So, you're saying there is about 1/2" space between the tranny and the bellhousing? The bolts don't reach to start threading them in? If so, make sure the input shaft is going in right. Try pushing the tranny towards the bellhousing with a little force, sort of wiggle it around a little to make sure the shaft is going in ok. I had lots of trouble with this part too.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krab
So, you're saying there is about 1/2" space between the tranny and the bellhousing? The bolts don't reach to start threading them in? If so, make sure the input shaft is going in right. Try pushing the tranny towards the bellhousing with a little force, sort of wiggle it around a little to make sure the shaft is going in ok. I had lots of trouble with this part too.

1/4 of an inch, my bad. Yes the bolts reach just fine and start to thread but then get stuck ON ALL HOLES. I dont get it
Old 09-08-2005, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean??? They won't thread in all the way and are binding?????? More info = better help.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
What do you mean??? They won't thread in all the way and are binding?????? More info = better help.
Yes binding, right as i begin to screw them in, they bind. I cant figure out if its the angle or if i just need to re-tap the bellhousing holes...
Old 09-08-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

One of the problems I found when I was doing CLutches was the slave cylinder.
if It some how got some pressure in it, you are pushing against the clutch.
Witht he tranny stabbed and up close to the engine
Hook up the master cylinder. This will release the pressure and if that was the problem it will slide in.
The other thing is to make Damn sure the Clutch was put together with an alignment tool. You really want to make sure its centered. Other wise you'll never get it in with out turning Green and growing very large.
Tom
Old 09-08-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bugsquawsher
One of the problems I found when I was doing CLutches was the slave cylinder.
if It some how got some pressure in it, you are pushing against the clutch.
Witht he tranny stabbed and up close to the engine
Hook up the master cylinder. This will release the pressure and if that was the problem it will slide in.
The other thing is to make Damn sure the Clutch was put together with an alignment tool. You really want to make sure its centered. Other wise you'll never get it in with out turning Green and growing very large.
Tom
Ur not understanding. Tranny went in perfectly, and is only MAYBE a 1/4 of an inch away from the bellhousing. When I try to screw in one of the bolts it will not thread in. I'm wondering if its the angle I have the tranny at or if I just need to re-tap the bellhousing.

edit- and yes the slave is hooked up and bolted in
Old 09-08-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Ur not understanding. Tranny went in perfectly, and is only MAYBE a 1/4 of an inch away from the bellhousing. When I try to screw in one of the bolts it will not thread in. I'm wondering if its the angle I have the tranny at or if I just need to re-tap the bellhousing.

edit- and yes the slave is hooked up and bolted in

were the bolts easy to take out?
The tranny should Go completely Flush with the back of the engine before any bolt is put in.
You should never use the bolts to pull it together
My only suggestion here is to pull the tranny back and make sure that the bolts thread into the back of the engine.
If they do then you need to get the tranny flush with the back of the motor.
If you have Solid Motor Mounts , this is almost impossible with out unbolting the motor mounts.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Tranny slid in like butter. Less than 1/2 of an inch of space left and the bolts WILL NOT thread in at all.... What am i doing wrong now ? I've tried different placements of the jack and nothing..... The bolts line up perfectly into the holes but will not thread...

HELP!
Obviously hes not being very clear about things....im sure he posted this when he was tired as ****!

Ok heres the problem. At first we could only get the tranny within 1inch of the bell housing. So we tore it down and re-aligned the clutch. The alignement tool slide in and out with no problem. We then tossed up the tranny and the input shaft slide in with no problem, but it is still about 1/4 of a inch away from the bell housing. We tried using the longer bolts to suck the tranny down to the bell housing and we got maybe a thread or so started and they lock up. The threads are good on the bolts and the holes in the bell housing are fine. We also tried to give it a couple good hard shoves and no luck. What else can we try ? any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

The only thing I can think of at this point as a thing to try is this.
It requires a well rested and Feelin strong person.
You gotta Get your Body Under the tranny with out the Jack in the way.
Now lay there on your back with your head toward the rear end of the car.
Hold the tail shaft in your hands. And put your feet on the Bell housing.
Push with your feet while Jiggling the **** out of the Rear of the tranny.
It Should Pop flush with the Engine.
My try twisting slightly to make sure the Guide pins on the Engine are matching up with the tranny.
Good Luck.
Tom
Old 09-08-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

The method above might work, that's what I had to do to mine to get it to seat with the back of the engine. Using a jack to do this was kinda hard, but holding the tranny up like if you're getting ready to bench press it is a lot easier.