Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GM Clutch Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Clutch Fluid

Has anyone had good results with the GM clutch fluid? I used some synthetic dot 3 brake fluid the last flush but am wondering if the GM stuff is better. Someone wrote that the hydraulics don't respond well to synthetics.... Thanks!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Synthetics can eat the seals. Just use a good DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

My pedal is actually pretty decent (finally) after monthly mityvac sessions and driving around. I still have the Prestone synthetic DOT 3 in there however. I'm concerned about it eating seals, but I'm somewhat reluctant to flush it out and replace it since I'll go through the bleeding process again. I've checked several manufacturer's sites, and they all seem to recommend their synthetics for hydraulic clutch systems. Is the risk really great? I suppose worst case scenario would be to replace the master at some point if the fluid destroys it. Anyone have any long-term results with synthetic DOT 3 fluids in their clutch? Thanks!

Update: I wrote Prestone, and this is what they said:
Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in our products. To answer your question, Prestone Synthetic Brake
Fluid DOT 3 may be used with any other DOT 3 brake fluids. Prestone Synthetic Brake Fluid DOT 4 may be used with any
other DOT 4-brake fluid. We recommend checking you owner's manual to find out which Dot number is required for your
vehicle. Prestone Brake Fluids are compatible with other brand fluids with the same DOT number. We hope this has
answered your question.

Last edited by MrEddie; 10-14-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

I gravity bled/flushed all the Prestone fluid (went through 2 bottles of GM fluid) out and replaced with GM clutch fluid. This made things much better! The pedal feels much firmer and the shifts are crisp. I'm sold on this stuff. Incidentally, I relied only on Mity vac to bleed the air out - that thing rules.

Quick Reply: GM Clutch Fluid