Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1st gear pops out of gear now and then???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st gear pops out of gear now and then???

Every now and then I'll be sitting at a light or stop sign and when the light turns green I'll go and first gear will pop out into neutral.....I've been going to 2nd when that happens so I don't keep traffic backed up, becuase I have to play with it for a bit to get it in 1st and not spit back out.

I have a 2000 C5 with an M6 and a hurst short throw shifter. I also have a Mcleod twin disc clutch with adjustable master cylinder. I thought it might be the bolts on the shifter that stop the shift at a certain point but I set the bolts back all the way so they weren't stoping the shift and it still happened. It only does it every now and again. I have no idea what it could be and the weirdest part is that it only happens to 1st gear......................Any help would really be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a bent shift fork.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rollinna65
Sounds like a bent shift fork.
Is that easy to fix? Is it expensive to replace?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like shift forks are about $50 and I believe labor runs around $250.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

i would say sincro and then fork
Old 10-01-2005, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ari G
But wouldn't the sincro cause more than just first gear to pop out like that?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ari G
If it goes into gear without any problems doesn't that mean the synchro is ok?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

usually. the main purpose of a synchro is to slow or speed up the gear so they can mesh. could also possibly be a damaged tooth. that can kick it out of gear. happened in my old f150...
Old 10-22-2005, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
usually. the main purpose of a synchro is to slow or speed up the gear so they can mesh. could also possibly be a damaged tooth. that can kick it out of gear. happened in my old f150...
The shop that did the work on my car, opened up the tranny and replaced the 6th gear syncro.......so I figure that was the only one that was messed up. But the problem didn't start happening till after I got it back from them. It was making a clanking sound from the drivetrain and they opened the tranny to find out what it was. Apparently the DS was messed up. Got it fixed and while they had the tranny open they replaced a syncro..........but now the first gear thing is happening. Would the linkage have anything to do with it? Or does this sound like poor tranny work?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

I jsut had this exact same problem. Its your adjust mount on your torque tube. Mine was doing it in 2nd and sometimes 6th. Take you console apart again and pull the shifter off with it in 1st. If 1, 3, 5 or reverse pops out it is because you have the mount too far forward. if 2, 4, 6 do it its because its too far back. I thought it was my forks, gear or syncro as well but I had a really good guy work my tranny and i watched him do it as well as inspect the parts before he put them in. I replaced the fork with a steel one and put in new solid keyways as well. We checked over everything at that time (i broke my output shaft and rearend is why it was apart) and everything looked good not new but good enough that i had alot more miles in it. Anyway when i reinstalled it, it just started to do it randomly. It sounds like your shifter is not adjustable right at the torx bolts on the right of the shifter mount on the torque tube. Move it around again a bit, check and feel if its going in all the way. Without it running of course you can check by putting it in the gear, taking the shifter out and looking to see if it is hitting the back of the shifter. Move it to the halfway point and see what happens. I had this exact problem, with mine because when I reconnected the transfer rod for the shifter to the tranny it was not exact so i had to adjust it. I would play with that more before tearing it down again. But do it before you cause more problems. That was my fix but you sound like you are in the exact same boat. So good luck. If it was your syncros you would have a hard time getting it in gear at a stop, if it was the gear you would have something broke off and shouldbe able to see that by pulling the plug and checking the magnet on the plug of the tranny, and 3rd if its the fork 1st wouldn't be your only issue IMO. It could be going out early but I still think its just the adjustment on it.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadMonkey
I jsut had this exact same problem. Its your adjust mount on your torque tube. Mine was doing it in 2nd and sometimes 6th. Take you console apart again and pull the shifter off with it in 1st. If 1, 3, 5 or reverse pops out it is because you have the mount too far forward. if 2, 4, 6 do it its because its too far back. I thought it was my forks, gear or syncro as well but I had a really good guy work my tranny and i watched him do it as well as inspect the parts before he put them in. I replaced the fork with a steel one and put in new solid keyways as well. We checked over everything at that time (i broke my output shaft and rearend is why it was apart) and everything looked good not new but good enough that i had alot more miles in it. Anyway when i reinstalled it, it just started to do it randomly. It sounds like your shifter is not adjustable right at the torx bolts on the right of the shifter mount on the torque tube. Move it around again a bit, check and feel if its going in all the way. Without it running of course you can check by putting it in the gear, taking the shifter out and looking to see if it is hitting the back of the shifter. Move it to the halfway point and see what happens. I had this exact problem, with mine because when I reconnected the transfer rod for the shifter to the tranny it was not exact so i had to adjust it. I would play with that more before tearing it down again. But do it before you cause more problems. That was my fix but you sound like you are in the exact same boat. So good luck. If it was your syncros you would have a hard time getting it in gear at a stop, if it was the gear you would have something broke off and shouldbe able to see that by pulling the plug and checking the magnet on the plug of the tranny, and 3rd if its the fork 1st wouldn't be your only issue IMO. It could be going out early but I still think its just the adjustment on it.
But it only pops out in first when I'm trying to go from a dead stop..........Only in first! I will pass this on to the guy who's working on my car now and I'll print this out so I can reference it again. Your are 100% right about checking this out before I rip apart my tranny, and you make a very good point about the shifter wouldn't go in gear. Thanks for your post..........You don't know how much I appreciate it.......
Old 10-25-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

No prob. See mine did that too if I was moving it would shift into 2nd without grinding then when I released the clutch it would grind then pop out. I did try it from a slow roll and a stop in 2nd same thing would happen. It boggled me, after rebuilding it, I really started thinking I would have to tear into it all over again, and that takes more time then I care to take at this time. If I slammed it it would go sometimes. The weird thing is it started to do this out of the blue for me. The it went away for about a day then it came back until I adjusted it. I hope it helps your issue. Its alot easier to adjust it then to rebuild it again.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadMonkey
No prob. See mine did that too if I was moving it would shift into 2nd without grinding then when I released the clutch it would grind then pop out. I did try it from a slow roll and a stop in 2nd same thing would happen. It boggled me, after rebuilding it, I really started thinking I would have to tear into it all over again, and that takes more time then I care to take at this time. If I slammed it it would go sometimes. The weird thing is it started to do this out of the blue for me. The it went away for about a day then it came back until I adjusted it. I hope it helps your issue. Its alot easier to adjust it then to rebuild it again.

My issue isn't exactly the same............Like I said, 1st gear is the only gear that pops out and only when I'm going from a dead start. It don't grind or anything, it just makes a loud "POP" and gets thrown out into neutral. If I put it in first while slowly rolling its fine. Its just when I put it in first when I am stopped, and then let out the clutch to go forward. But it only does it some times, and like your situation it went away for a day and came back. But I think your on to the problem. I think its just adjusted a little different causing it to be slightly different. Only one way to find out.

But what I found weird about you situation is that your 2nd gear would pop out and you said a couple of times 6th would pop out too. What I found so weird is that 6th is at the top and 2nd is at the bottom. Who knows. I gave this info to my mechanic (cars in good hands now) and when I gave them this info. they told me that a pin was missing in my linkage so they had to replace the whole thing. So maybe (pray for me) with the linkage replaced and the adjustment advice from you.............the problem should be solved. I'll post up in a few weeks when I get my car back.

thanks again.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Hope its not too bad. But my 6th is over to the right and down, and my 2nd is to the left and down. It only did it in 6th like once or twice. When I adjusted it too far then my reverse would do it. Is why I pulled out my feeler gauge is about the only way I could figure it out and be close other then the eyeball method. Hopefully its that easy thats its something simple. Seems weird though we are close to a similar prob but not exact so it could be more. Hope I helped in some way. Good Luck. I will prolly be into mine again in the future I grinded it so much. Prolly need new syncros in mine before to long if not a new gear.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:52 PM

Realizing I'm dredging up a 12 year old thread, but am having the EXACT same problem as the original poster. Hoping he is still around and can chime in with what happened....

Only difference mine is popping out of first 95% of the time and tired of ******* it away from the light in second....
Old 10-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Default 2005 chevy silverado pops out of first gear

Originally Posted by 00Vette
My issue isn't exactly the same............Like I said, 1st gear is the only gear that pops out and only when I'm going from a dead start. It don't grind or anything, it just makes a loud "POP" and gets thrown out into neutral. If I put it in first while slowly rolling its fine. Its just when I put it in first when I am stopped, and then let out the clutch to go forward. But it only does it some times, and like your situation it went away for a day and came back. But I think your on to the problem. I think its just adjusted a little different causing it to be slightly different. Only one way to find out.

But what I found weird about you situation is that your 2nd gear would pop out and you said a couple of times 6th would pop out too. What I found so weird is that 6th is at the top and 2nd is at the bottom. Who knows. I gave this info to my mechanic (cars in good hands now) and when I gave them this info. they told me that a pin was missing in my linkage so they had to replace the whole thing. So maybe (pray for me) with the linkage replaced and the adjustment advice from you.............the problem should be solved. I'll post up in a few weeks when I get my car back.

thanks again.
I have the exact same problem with my 2005 chevy silverado. What was the final solution to your problem. Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2018, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine just started doing the same, pops out of 1st and reverse, sometimes. It was also difficult to shift into these gears before. Going to do the easiest thing first, check the shifter. I installed an aftermarket shifter years ago, and don't remember the brand or even if it is adjustable. It's a 99 z28 ragtop with about 140,000 miles and original trans never been rebuilt. May even have original clutch. Replaced clutch master about a year ago.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was perusing the web and found this quote on one vendor's website: " The transmission goes through heat cycles every time the vehicle is driven for any length of time but when driven aggressively, the heat can make the plastic shift fork pads brittle. The plastic fork pads often crack and fail. (symptoms: grinding, popping out of gear) "
Old 07-21-2018, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Shift boot being misaligned on the hurst can keep it from seating the synchro and dog ring correctly..
Old 07-24-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

... and just like that, my problem seems to have disappeared.

Quick Reply: 1st gear pops out of gear now and then???