Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question about McLeod Street Twin / Shims

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about McLeod Street Twin / Shims

I've been having trouble getting my clutch to fully disengage. I've played with the adjustable master and still can't get it still will creep with the clutch pushed in and foot off the brake.

I've flushed all the fluid and re-bled the entire thing. I used a mityvac on both the master and slave. Pedal feel is solid with no slop or play.

Question is do you need to shim these things? I thought I remember being told it was uncessary at the time because I got a new steel flywheel with the kit.

Anyone got any ideas.

- john
Old 10-18-2005, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

nobody has ever had a need to shim a Street Twin?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Johnny5
nobody has ever had a need to shim a Street Twin?
I don't know about your clutch, but in one of my threads asking the same question about my powergrip HD, people are telling me to rip it open and shim it.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mcleod send's the unit assembled and balanced as a unit already clearanced etc.. So you just take it apart and put it back together the way you take it apart. I.E shim's in the same location they come off.. otherwise you'll have clearance issue's between the flywheel,floater,pp... Are you sure you put it back the way it came apart? if you put the master rod all the way extended it still creep's?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

McLeod also recommends in their installation instructions that you check the amount of "play" or "lash" between the individual discs before installing. I think that within spec if .020 to .025" if I remember correctly. I used a feeler gauge and mine came at .024" between the discs.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

I guess I don't know for sure because a buddy helped me put it in. He is a GM Tech and I'm pretty sure we did take it apart and put it back the same way but I guess I'm not 100% on that. It seems like it has gotten worse over time and I've had the clutch for nearly 3 years. (only seen about 8k miles though)