Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Popping out of first gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping out of first gear?

Was at the track on the weekend and on 3 occasions when I launched, the car popped out of first gear. The first time I about **** because when the car lurched violently and then stopped moving, I figured I had grenaded my 10-bolt. However, I realized the shifter was in neutral and after a couple seconds of the clutch pushed in I could shift it into first and be on my merry way. It didn't happen on every run (I made 19 passes, it happened 3 times), just when I seemed to hook really hard. It feels a tiny bit notchy shifting into first gear after the first time it happened. Is this a toasted shift fork? I had no problems in any other gear, and I managed to successfully nail every power-shift so I can't be doing EVERYTHING wrong.

TIA.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Oh, and the tranny was recently out of the car. A friend and I swapped the stock clutch and flywheel out for Z06 components, as well as the slave cylinder. The only thing that was strange when the car went back together was/is that the shifter seems to be about an inch to the right (to the point where I squeeze leather between the stick and the lip of the console when it's in reverse).
Old 11-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Nobody has any ideas?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the shifter position off , I suspect you have a loose/ out of position torque arm or crossmember attachment. At launch the trans twists and the console bops it out of gear.