Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard shifts to all gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard shifts to all gears

Just recently my T/A has been acting weird it seems like its being held back. The power doesnt seem to be there. I just recently started yesterday and today when I was leaving a toll there was a car infront of me so I set it in neutral and rolled through well I went to put it in 1st and it wouldnt go in so I tried 2nd same effect so I rolled away in 4th. When I got rolling I had to pull it hard into 2nd to get it to go in. Now when shifting to all gears I have to shove it in. I have 96k on the car (bought it used w/87k) last time I checked trans fluid was full but old. Do you think it time for an overhaul rebuild? Thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Hope it's not like mine with 32k on the dial right now and stuck in 4th gear just cruising down the highway. Shop says that the trans is screwed and need a new one or rebuilt 5000-7000 depending. Crappy azz T56....this is third time for trans problem, but now mine is outta warranty.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

WAIT $5k-$7k your kidding. IF thats true just look for one here instead of paying out the wazzoo. It is hard to take out of gear BUT SO FAR it hasnt gotten stuck yet. I would like to just get another tranny anyway but I need to get another ride b4 I do so than I can work on whatever I need to or want to.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Is collector car registration different than a historic car registration. I have historic plates on my 70 Chevelle SS and I don't even bring it to inspection, no sticker or anything, just plates. As of now, I only really drive the Camaro on weekends since I take public transportation to work everyday, so is collector car registration something that I could benefit from?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Ummm wrong thread I think bud, lol
Old 11-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Teching In

oops, my bad. too many windows on my desktop!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I would buy one from a speed shop by me (all built with the vipo internals) for about 2400, but that means letting GM off the hook. Needless to say these azz holes at GM will only pay for 50% of the 5300 cost and divided down the middle it would cost as much to get my own and install it as it would to have them put in a new one. I'm so pissed and going to sell this car now, fuc'n GM. They are blaming it on headers the A-holes
Old 11-20-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

ok new problems are coming up. It sounds like my throw out bearing is shot it whines very loud. Also NOW when I do low RPM shifts (2k-3k) it shifts just fine but when I do a run @ high rpms (4k-above) it wont go into gear it blocks it out. What do you think it could be?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

ttt... anyone?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Time for a new clutch!!!! Your clutch might not be disengaging all the way. How far off the floor does your clutch start engaging? Either way if your clutch is worn or your hydraulics are going bad, it will be hard to put into gear and almost impossible when at High RPM.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Teching In

anytime u want to spend $7000 on a trans let me know, i will come pick up your car, put the new trans in it.......and bring it back to you all done.....ready to handle anything......hell for $7000 i would even wash the car.....all kidding aside it sounds like the shop doesnt want to do the job, and figures well hell if he pays this much its worth it, go to speed inc and look at the price of their Dr evil 6-spds, they have one it that 8sec turbo car, you probably dont want yours pro-shifted but you get the idea, remember if you dont want to go fast for a few hundred you could just replace it with a used one, a lot of guys upgrade theirs and will get rid of the stocker for cheap....just a thought, but dont let anyone rip you off like that
Old 11-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Well it's running me 2500 and i would go through speed inc or else where for the bullet proof one, but it's the principle of the matter. I do that and GM is off the hook and pays nothing. I'm thinking after they put it in I'll buy the bullet proof one and sell the brand new one and call it a day. I love their service department telling me my aftermarket torque arm may have caused the damage or having the LT's on the car did it, yet it was in the shop 3 times for this kinda thing before I ever put on after market parts. idiots.....
Old 11-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Teching In

I here ya, my check enging light came on, on my other car...monte carlo, and it was under warranty so i just took it to the dealer, all i wanted was them to scan it, not fix it, not diagnose it, just scan it and tell me what code was thrown......they said oh this car has been modified we cant work on it, all i had was headers, "please guys just run your lil tech 2 and tell me the code number, i will even go look it up myself"

"nope our scanner only works when the car is stock, it wont be accurate" dealerships...........no i was only 18 at the time, ive grown up....so dont tell me it was immature i already know that.....but i left that service department leaving a patch the whole way down the garage.....dealerships are junk

anywyas sorry to get off subject......if GM gets u a new tranny then thats a good plan.....i love the Ls1, i love most gm cars.....but it would have been nice if when they built this awesome engine with great power, they would have made the rest of the car be able to handle the power.....(ehem...10bolt)
if i didnt want to drive fast i would have bought the v-6...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Not for anything, but aluminum 3/4 shift fork and weak slider keys aside, don't you think the T-56 is one of the most brilliantly designed manual transmissions ever built? At least American? You guys often forget that we beat the ever loving snot out of these cars on a daily basis. Of course things are going to break. I hate to say it, but GM has every right to deny warranty service if you have place ANY mods on the powertrain whatsoever. Even a whisper lid would be enough to void it. Don't be so hard on GM when they have made cars for us that we thoroughly enjoy and love. GM is no saint when it comes to business corporations, so they have you by the nads if they caught you with a powertrain mod and they have the law to back them up on it. The only way you will get anything out of them is if you're lucky enough for a service writer not to notice any modifications, which is a slim chance in hell.
I feel for you man cause I'm going throught the same shift fork/synchro key problem and have to pay to get it repaired. The parts for these things are incredibly expensive. I'm thinking of buying a T-56 and gradually rebuild it myself. I would have to buy all the gear pulling/pressing tools and snap ring tools as well. Sheesh!!!
Labor of love.

BTW, does anyone know the best source for reasonably priced parts for these trannies? I want to buy the steel 3-4 shift fork, and billet keys. And whatever else I need.
Thanks. And OP, good luck with GM.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Teching In

It may be a very good design in theory, but from the looks of the board and owners it doesn't seem to hold up very well, even with stock horsepower. As I said before (with no mods) the car was in the shop 3 times for tranny problems and to boot I've been pretty good on the trans and how I drive mine, so this is quite disturbing. I agree with power adders your going to find the weak link, but this thing was a POS from the get go.
fwiw-lids wont void warranty, slp option from factory
Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Isnt' it only under warranty if SLP themselves install it for you? Or can you do anything to your car that SLP offers and it would still be under warranty? Not too sure about that.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Teching In

In my case it was a factory option for the 345hp package consisting of a lid and center mounted exhaust. And yes if one opt's for those upgrades it's sent to SLP for the install. Even my chrome rim option was an SLP install. As far as headers it's no dice. Cold air induction would probably be fine as well I would think and a pulley. Those would be the only things GM wouldn't void your warranty on.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

It would seem everyones results vary. I just turned 63000 miles on my 2000 and this is the first transmission problem I have had, and it turns out to be the most common problem. 3-4 Synchro keys and the 3-4 aluminum shift fork.
I found a 3-4 synchronizer assy on Ebay for 108.00 and the steel 3-4 shift fork for 40.00. Are these decent prices? Or can I find better elsewhere? I am actually considering buying a T-56 from a junkyard and rebuilding it myself and take my time with it. This way, I will always have a spare tranny. Minimum downtime hopefully. Thanks bro.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

check your clutch fluid, and bleed your clutch, i had the same problem, bled the clutch and its fixed
Old 11-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Teching In

My clutch is fine, it's the internals that are shot and I already had the 3-4 forks replaced at an earlier time when I had problems. Keysplayr might try that as a quick fix that would cost a hellava lot less.
BTW: those sound like good prices Keysplayr, sounds like an idea on the spare tranny too.

Quick Reply: Hard shifts to all gears