Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

is riding the clutch bad for the clutch or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is riding the clutch bad for the clutch or not?

is riding the clutch bad for the clutch or not? For example if u are going down the hill and push in the clutch to get a faster roll or something
Old 01-10-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as the clutch is fully disenguaged I don't see how it would hurt it. Although when you release the clutch pedal in a lower gear and the car is now moving faster that probably isn't the best for the cluth One other thing to think about is that since your holding the clutch in your holding consistant pressure on the pressure plate the entire time your rolling down that hill. What wears out clutchs really fast is resting your foot on the pedal while your driving which can sometimes cause the clutch to slip/heat up/wear for extended periods of time.

Last edited by SSDriver; 01-10-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As above, it won't wear the clutch extra if you have it disengaged. It will, however place more duty on your pressure plate fingers and throw out bearing. Is it a reason not to do this? I don't think so. Dis engaging the clutch in such instances is what will squeeze more mileage out of your car . I do this - alot.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Banned

well i heard it was bad for the clutch or something and didnt know if it was true
Old 01-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Yes i've heard this before. But its totally inaccurate.... the only time you really burn your clutch out a little is when you Dump/pop the clutch at a high rpm..... but what burns the clutch out the fastest is down shifting without reving it first...... as well as feathering the clutch (at higher RPMS)....
Old 01-11-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoon
As above, it won't wear the clutch extra if you have it disengaged. It will, however place more duty on your pressure plate fingers and throw out bearing. Is it a reason not to do this? I don't think so. Dis engaging the clutch in such instances is what will squeeze more mileage out of your car . I do this - alot.
Does it squeeze out more mileage? I thought I remembered reading if you leave the car in gear during decline and get off the throttle, the computer stops pulsing the injectors and the engine is just running off the car's momentum? Whereas if you coast down in neutral, fuel is still required to maintain idle.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

I don't see a point of hitting the clutch to get a faster roll downhill at all.......why do that? If you want to go faster, hit the gas, it's what it's there for. If you're worried about clutch wear, or want to completely coast, for whatever reason, shift into neutral and get off the clutch completely.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Every Clutch manufacture will tell you that every time you push the clutch pedal in you are wearing something. In your case pushing the pedal in while coasting will cause premature wear on the Throw-out bearing, Pilot bearing and wear on the diaphragm fingers. It will also put stress on the Hydraulic's and Thrust bearing while you are holding the clutch pedal to the floor. It is never a good idea regardless of what clutch you use to hold the pedal in while at a stop light or just coasting.
The clutch wears everytime you push the pedal in period. The amount that is worn depends on how you are using it. Typically a dead stop take off is were you will see the most amount of wear under normal driving conditions. Heat has always been the number one killer of clutches when you take off or ride the clutch you are generating heat. I could go on and on about this and I would say that most of the other clutch manufacture would agree.

Thanks,
Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches
Old 01-11-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you push in the clutch, and LEAVE it pushed it, the only thing this is hurting is the throwout bearing, which has all of the pressure from the pressure plate on it when the clutch it pushed in. Naturally, this will shorten the life of the throwout bearing. It's not something to worry about unless you are constantly doing this. If you want to go faster down a hill, put the car in neutral or go into a higher gear. I always leave my car in gear unless I'm at a stop, in which case it is in neutral with the clutch out. I know some people who push in the clutch everytime they brake which doesn't make much sense to me. This is hurting the TO bearing and you lose the friction of the engine to help slow you down.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so, i can't hold in the clutch and put it in first gear and wait for the green light no more? i gotta wait for the green, disengage the clutch and re-engage it? does that really hurt the clutch waitin for the green????
Old 01-12-2006, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
If you push in the clutch, and LEAVE it pushed it, the only thing this is hurting is the throwout bearing, which has all of the pressure from the pressure plate on it when the clutch it pushed in.
No, it's as Will said. If the clutch is depressed, then the crankshaft is usually spinning at a different RPM than the input shaft. That means pilot bearing wear too.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sgarnett
No, it's as Will said. If the clutch is depressed, then the crankshaft is usually spinning at a different RPM than the input shaft. That means pilot bearing wear too.
It is much more natural for a bearing to have a shaft spinning on the inside of it, thats what a bearing is for. The TO bearing has HUGE amounts of pressure on it from the side which will cause it to wear much faster than the pilot bearing. TO bearing failures are way more common than pilot bearing failures.

so, i can't hold in the clutch and put it in first gear and wait for the green light no more? i gotta wait for the green, disengage the clutch and re-engage it? does that really hurt the clutch waitin for the green????
I wouldn't reccomend it. I always anticipate lights and get the car in gear before the light turns green.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

You should go to neutral foot off the clutch at stop lights and that would work for rolling down hill too. Saves your throwout bearing. The TO bearing is a high rotational resistant bearing that helps slow down the gears in the tranny and aids the synchro drums when you push in the clutch. A worn bearing can cause gear mesh problems.
Riding the clutch is when you cruise along resting your foot on the clutch pedal.

Listen to Will Baty
Signed,
A CenterForce Clutch user.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

The TO bearing has no direct effect on the spinning input shaft and gears. Any rotational drag from it acts only on the crankshaft/flywheel/pressure plate assembly (assuming the clutch is disengaging properly).
Old 01-13-2006, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sgarnett
The TO bearing has no direct effect on the spinning input shaft and gears. Any rotational drag from it acts only on the crankshaft/flywheel/pressure plate assembly (assuming the clutch is disengaging properly).
Thinking about it, of course you are correct.
There are some dynamics in effect during the depressing and releasing phases though. I'm not sure what those would be. I had heard years ago that a worn out T/O bearing can cause the gears to grind during speed shifts.
Good catch. My bad.
I will still leave the clutch out at stop lights though.

Quick Reply: is riding the clutch bad for the clutch or not?