Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 help needed.

I think my 3rd gear syncro is about shot. I am considering replacing it myself, and I am wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy parts for a T56? I also would like to know if anyone has any good leads on "how to" articles covering a T56 rebuild. I know D&D out of Wixom Mich. sells a rebuild kit for like $500 for all the syncros, bearings, and steel shift forks, but I think that sounds a bit high for a do it yourselfer such as I. I have rebuilt a T5 in the past, so I know the basics. I just need to know where to get the parts and what special tools may be required etc... Any help is appreciated as always.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-19-2002, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: T56 help needed.

Here is the tech support number for Tremec.
1 (800) 401-9866 or 1 (419) 470-8200

and their web site www.ttcautomotive.com

They should be able to refer you to some parts dealers as well as your regional rep who can refer you to somewhere local that may be able to help you out.

As far as doing it yourself. Most of the costs of rebuilds are actually the parts. In my first re-build I had to replace everything in the tranny except for the input shaft. The total costs was ~1600, only 250 of which was labor (D&D). My second re-build was ~750 with only $100 in labor (ProMotion out of FtLauderdale). If you have a gear puller that can handle the 5th and 6th gears as well as the proper tool to measure the endplay to shim the tranny it should not be a big deal to do it. Awhile back I found a link to a guys web page where he rebuilt his LT1 T56. Just do a search on on T56 and wade through until you find it. Its actually pretty good, lots of pics and descriptions. I'm sorry I don't have a link to it. Also Tremec has a service manual for about $8 that you can order.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

RuntanZ28, That $500 doesn't even include the actual three synchronizer assembly's and they are $150 each. D&D refers to these parts as sliders. You would need a special puller for the gears and a press to get some of the parts back on.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Launching!

well I did a search on google and found a free download of the service manual as a .pdf format. It looks pretty simple actually. I have access to a press and finding a gear puller that can handle the job shouldn't be too tough. The service manual has the deimensions for the endplay tool and I think I can make one of those here at work. Now, the synchros are $150 each??? WOW! Would it be a bad idea then to just replace 1 or do all of them have to be replaced?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 03-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Launching!

well I did a search on google and found a free download of the service manual as a .pdf format. It looks pretty simple actually. I have access to a press and finding a gear puller that can handle the job shouldn't be too tough. The service manual has the deimensions for the endplay tool and I think I can make one of those here at work. Now, the synchros are $150 each??? WOW! Would it be a bad idea then to just replace 1 or do all of them have to be replaced?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 03-20-2002, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

The only puller that I needed was the 5/6 driven gear puller. I broke a couple of other pullers trying to make them work. As far as the sliders, you can just replace one if there is only one damaged. Keep in mind that the sliders work for two gears: 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6. The reverse slider can be turned around if it's damaged.

Quick Reply: T56 help needed.