48.29%
other
6.70%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

shifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006 | 05:18 AM
12 Second Club

ok so consensus is that pro5.0 is noisey, how are the b&m or the hurst billet for noise?

does anyone know exactly what is causing the noise in the pro5.0?
Old 02-21-2006 | 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

I had a pro 5 and never liked it.It was very noisy and just never did it for me.
I have hurst billet in car now.Its better than pro 5 in my eyes but not quite as quiet as factory hurst.Think going back to factory hurst.Never tried the b and m though.It might be great ,sounds like its go some possibilities.
Old 02-21-2006 | 10:59 AM
On The Tree

my 99taws6 how is the hurst on the 2-3 shift better worse

anyone on here tried all 4 of them b&m pro Hurst and of course im sure everyone tried stock pros and cons if youve tried any or a combination of them
things such as 2-3 shift noise ease of shifting how comfortable etc..
Old 02-21-2006 | 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Well I had big problems on my car with 2 to 3 and finally did the drill mod and that helped a lot at high rpm.
I never liked the feel of the pro 5 and it just was so noisy.Rattle city when floored.I put some rubber in there but not much help.
The hurst billet is a bit more precise than the pro 5,think it actually can be adjusted in terms of springs forget now.Its a bit noiser than stock but less than pro5.
I am getting old though so think just going back to hurst factory.
Its quiet and reasonably precise.
Good enough I don't race the car much really.
Old 02-21-2006 | 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you want it to be quiet just put the factory stick on, it has that rubber insulator and that takes alot of noise and vibration out of it
Old 02-21-2006 | 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a Pro 5.0 and the LSS...absolutely love it. Never noticed any noise from it, I like the notchy feel (it actually feels like a shifter, not a wooden spoon in a bowl of pudding), and the LSS puts the **** at the perfect spot for my hand.
Old 02-22-2006 | 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

My car came with the hurst shifter stock and swiched it out for the pro 5.0. I can't say it was really worth it. I am thinking about going back to the stock hurst. I like the notchy feel of the pro 5.0 but i cant really say i shift any better I guess if you cant shift a new shifter wont help much.
Old 02-23-2006 | 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

I have the SLP Short Throw w/Lou short stick and i think its the shortest out of them all
Old 02-23-2006 | 05:56 PM
On The Tree

i'm planning on going with a pro 5.0 in a few weeks, from what ive heard they are really good, though ive also heard that about the ripper.
Old 02-24-2006 | 11:02 PM
On The Tree

I have the hurst billet shifter with a umi short handle and it feels very nice. It does have some noise since i took out the rubber piece but i didnt like the feel of it until i did that.
Old 02-24-2006 | 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

I use the stock hurst with a umi short stick, works well for me (haven't missed 3rd since I put it in)
The biggest problem with the stock shifter is the rubber isolator, gives you a feeling of stirring a bucket of rocks with a stick.
The SS takes the isolator out, and gives a more positive feel to the shifter. It's all opinion anyway, some love the 5.0, others feel the same way about the b&m.
I did the hurst+short stick, cause i'm a cheap SOB, and it was the cheapest alternative I could find, (had the non hurst stock shifter ) just so happens it worked out well for me
Old 02-24-2006 | 11:55 PM
On The Tree

I bought the ws6store 6.5 inch stick and put it on my
stock hurst. Big improvement but I didn't like the
angle of my arm when shifting easy so I removed the bushing on the
stock stick and welded it solid at it's stock height.
I love it, It shifts very old school and because of the leverage
of the longer shifter it shifts easy.
Old 02-25-2006 | 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went with the pro 5.0 over the stock shifter and it makes a big differance all around.
The noise thing in my opinion comes from not having the stops set right.
If under cruiseing and the shifter is touching the stops then you are going to get this noise. If you follow the instructs and put slight preasure on the shifter when setting the stops it will be off the stops when cruiseing. I have absolutely no noise over the stock setup I had.

Now I just need to come up with a good height for it
Old 02-25-2006 | 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

I dont have my stops set, they are backed off the entire way and tight so its not the stops making noise.
Old 02-25-2006 | 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by loreak
I dont have my stops set, they are backed off the entire way and tight so its not the stops making noise.
How about did you use a gasket for the flange mounting? Did you leave the nylon insert in the trans where the ball of the shifter goes in?

It would be nice to locate this problem since so many peeps have or dont have noise
Old 02-26-2006 | 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

I used cork, i just cut it out and made a gasket, i figured that would help with noise.

I do not recall about the nylon insert for the end where it sits in. I remember only metal, does anyone have a pic or description? maybe it fell out or something, im assuming its just a thin piece that sits in there that the ball then kind of compresses so its not touching the metal?
Old 02-28-2006 | 05:06 AM
12 Second Club

anyone have a part number for that thing, i dont recall anything like it so ill get one and put it in
Old 02-28-2006 | 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

How much shorter is the B&M then the stock hurst....
Old 02-28-2006 | 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ctucker
the reason that i dont like it is about the same everyone else did notchy noisey etc the 2-3 shift is crap or at least for me i started missing 3rd more when i put it on has anyone else had this problem??? i cut it down about 3" and slanted it slightly back just so i could tolerate it for the time being but now the trannys out and i figured it is time and not to dog on anyone here but there is not one best its what people like and i want to here everyones opinon on what they like and what they dont about ones theyve tried etc.. or i guess i can do like i do most other things buy em all and find out which one i like better then sell the rest but that takes alot of time and is kinda expensive and there is no ls1 cars in my area with the others it either the pro or stock and ive tried both of those i need to try the hurst and the b&m which is what im leaning toward right now but who know i could possible keep the pro but if not be looking for it it will be for sale within the next month probably for all you intested or make me an offer i cant refuse and i might just let her go now PLEASE TAKE PART IN THE POLL

Hmm, i freakin LOVE my pro 5.0.. the issue w/ 2-3, did you remove that dumb bolt that comes on the tower base? The notchy feel is my favorite part about it. I guess it all comes down to the feel you like. I would never part with my pro 5.0
Old 03-04-2006 | 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I noticed my Pro 5.0 was noisier than stock when I first put it in, but I don't notice it now with all the other noises the car makes. I tried to keep all of the original rubber insulators, just cut it a bit to make it fit. I had a few short trips to get the stop bolts in the right place.

I raced a '02 Z06 two weeks ago and I didn't care for it's stock shifter. Felt like it had a lot of crap getting in the way just to move the shifter. I haven't had any other aftermarket shifter, but I don't have a reason to change.

Quick Reply: shifters