Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fidanza Friction Plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fidanza Friction Plate

OK, so I have a fidanza flywheel and I'm changing out my SPEC with a Ram disc and pressure plate. I got a new friction plate just to make sure I don't have any problems and a Ram cust service rep tells me I need to have the new friction plate reground or my disc will not seat properly.

Has anyone done this or does anyone know if this is correct?

They're also recomending a shim. Now this is getting far too complicated.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friction plate was not "reground" just replace the FP with a new one. Its only 80 bucks......Id also go with an adjustable master, I have a mcloud...I dont think my ram 402 had any kind of shim with the adj master.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I called fidanza and they told me I did not need to have it ground flat. I was also told that the flywheel came balanced out of the box. I just needed to get the clutch flywheel balanced as a whole.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the same response from Fidanza. BTW, the friction plate is much less expensive @ Summit, that's where I got mine. I think it was $55.

Ram says they know Fidanza insists the friction plate does not need to be reground, but their experience indicates in fact it does need to be reground.

I am going to take my FW & PP to have the balance checked, so at this point I plan to have the shop resurface the new friction plate only enough to insure it is straight. That's the implication - that the friction plate is not exactly straight and the surface is too slick, so the disc will not seat properly.

As far as needing a spacer goes, I really don't want an adjustible master and I already have a spacer from my old SPEC, so I guess I'll try to cmpare the dimensions of the spec to the dimensions of the RAM, and go from there.

I also need to get a helicoil in one of my FW mounting holes because when I was installing my SPEC one of the holes didn't line up right and trying to get the bolt threaded I stripped the first few threads. I finally had to take a chainsaw file and open up the hole to get it to work. Just another aspect of my bad SPEC experience.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Teching In

just ordered a replacement friction disc from summit..
does the replacement come with new bolts / screws - or do i reuse the old ones. what are they torqued to. fwiw - my shop (hpe) says that my new spec and fidanza should not need to be balanced. the idea of true-ing up the friction face sounds like good idea, tho.

Quick Reply: Fidanza Friction Plate