Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Liberty's T56

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by CamTom12
Turns out that shifter costs about $800 AUS, so that's a little out of the question for my purposes. Sure does look quality, though

I've been tossing around the idea of building a 2-step (not for manufacture) since I can't find an old harlan one anywhere and I was thinking about incorporating a timing-interrupt (some call them 'shift-cuts') for later down the road when I go to a face-plated or some sort of planetary tranny, so I don't have to worry as much about rebuilds and slipper-clutches... Kind of a pipe-dream, I guess
$800 AUS sounds right. At the PRI show they told me about $600 US. Then again the transmissions are about $18,000 US, so whats another $600 at that point.

I actually have a Harlan 2-step and I have PM'ed Harlan asking if maybe he will encorporate an ignition cut into his next version of the 2-step. I wouldn't think it be too complicated.

Andrew
Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So GatTaGo would you reccomend this tranny for road racing...? I'm in the process of picking between tranny options. I was thinking sending my Gforce tranny to get the face plate upgrade would do the trick. But I'm hesitent if it would be a waste for a road racing setup. What do you think?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
$800 AUS sounds right. At the PRI show they told me about $600 US. Then again the transmissions are about $18,000 US, so whats another $600 at that point.

I actually have a Harlan 2-step and I have PM'ed Harlan asking if maybe he will encorporate an ignition cut into his next version of the 2-step. I wouldn't think it be too complicated.

Andrew
You'll have to sell me your old one if he does then, hahaha
Old 08-23-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Andrew, I was thinking of doing the same to mine. Mine is in a new gto. I was reading the way you found the best way to shift was tapping the clutch and upshift. What about WOT shifts with the clutch? My friend has an srt4 and he keeps that thing floored presses in on the clutch and grabs another gear. Can you do that with the faceplated tranny? or is that just meant so you dont miss any gears?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by allthrotle
Hey Andrew, I was thinking of doing the same to mine. Mine is in a new gto. I was reading the way you found the best way to shift was tapping the clutch and upshift. What about WOT shifts with the clutch? My friend has an srt4 and he keeps that thing floored presses in on the clutch and grabs another gear. Can you do that with the faceplated tranny? or is that just meant so you dont miss any gears?

no way would I do this with a new car. its for drag racing and hardcore stuff only IMO. I've got one and I wouldn't want to DD it.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

I understand that its for hardcore and race use but, in the previous posts they also said that faceplating if streetable. My car is for the street and strip. And as far as new cars, there are plenty of other newer cars out there being chopped up and turned into race applications.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by allthrotle
Keeping your foot on the gas and shifting at WOT with the clutch (power shifting) is very easy with a face plated trans. You don't really have to press the clutch all the way. All you have to do is stab it very quickly to make it slip a little. This takes the load off the input shaft. Then you simply grab the next gear while keeping your right foot on the gas at WOT. This is exactly how I drive it at the track. There is an almost zero chance of missing a gear. The quicker you can move the shift lever the easier it is on parts.

Andrew
Old 09-09-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's been exactly 60 days since I installed this transmission. I have enough practice now that most people don't even notice anyting unusual when I shift. Even my GF says its totally quiet now. Smooth daily driving is really all about the practice. I have found that pressing on the clutch too much during shifts actually causes more noise. The trick is to pause in neutral for a split second. With normal driving this delay is not even noticable, but makes a huge difference in how smoothly it goes into the next higher gear. The pause in neutral allows the RPMs to drop just enough to perfectly match for the next gear. I barely press on the clutch, maybe about 1.5"-2" inches max. This takes the load off the input shaft, yet allows enoug pressure to keep it from cluncking back and forth during the shift. Sorry I don't have any more videos. I don't have access to a video camera anymore. I don't have any regrets at all.

Andrew
Old 09-18-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

what was the full price on this?? Very interested.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quick96ss
what was the full price on this?? Very interested.
Your best bet is to call Liberty for pricing. The price depends on what other work is needed to your trans. Paul can give you an accurate estimate once you tell him what you want done. 313-278-4040 ask for Paul.

Andrew
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any body got a pic of a Face plated gear??
Old 01-02-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.libertysgears.com/picture.htm
Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Great info guys. I read the whole dam thing! Good job. I got my tranny out getting a check up. My buddys at RPM just about had me talked into pro shifting it. They have the parts sitting there waiting on a brave soul to step up and try it.
I think I will talk with them about face plating these trannys.

I just did'nt know enough about it. I would love to try it in my car.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have broken several proshifted transmission and no longer sell them just due to that. The faceplated will never pop out of gear like the faceplated.

We build about 4 a month of the faceplated units.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 01-03-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

on a side note...

Since we were earlier discussing how even a face-plated trans isn't strong enough for clutchless shifts, it got me thinking... In the motorcycle world we have a little thing called a timing-interrupt that allows clutchless shifts on transmissions (helical gears, not the stronger spur-cut. I doubt you could hurt those things anyway, haha). Think something like that would work in our case?
I was wondering the same thing. We have a timing cut on our roadrace cars, but they have dogs and straight cut gears.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I was wondering the same thing. We have a timing cut on our roadrace cars, but they have dogs and straight cut gears.
I see no reason why this can't be done with the Liberty trans. Dog rings = face plating. You just need an ECU that has that function built in and a gear **** that is configure for that.

Andrew
Old 05-23-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wanted to give everyone a quick update. I just finished building another RX7 and I am using a light weight clutch and flywheel. WOW....does that make a huge difference in the way that the face plated transmission shifts. Its hard to explain but the transmission sort of just glides into the next gear without much clutch actuation at all. Its amazing.

I know there has been a lot of debate about the use of aluminum flywheels and other lightweight clutch components. I know for me, in my relatively lightweight car, there is no other option from now on. The dog ring boxes are very happy with lighter flywheel/clutch combinations.

Andrew
Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

In a heavier car like the TA I think I'll have to stick to the steel flywheel for launch energy, but that's definately a cool comparo GatTagO.

I wish money grew on trees cause then I'd be racing again and with a faceplated trans, haha
Old 05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

In a heavier car like the TA I think I'll have to stick to the steel flywheel for launch energy, but that's definately a cool comparo GatTagO.

I wish money grew on trees cause then I'd be racing again and with a faceplated trans, haha
One way to regain the inertia lost from the heavier flywheel is to simply raise the launch RPM. Remember that Inertia = Mass X Velocity.

So raising the launch RPM will hit the tires just as hard, but allow for quicker engine acceleration and quicker shifts.

For road racing or track day cars this setup is a no brainer.

Andrew
Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Who's clutch did you use? I should be receiving my liberty t56 anytime. I'm planning on useing a 5 1/2" tilton.

Quick Reply: Liberty's T56