Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Centerforce DF 12" shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After more driving this evening the shim seemed to help more than I initially thought; It is hard to find safe places to stretch this thing out since the top of 3rd is 127mph It doesn't hang up in gear as bad as it did before, almost non-existent. It hard shifts descent into 3rd at 6500 now but 2nd is still like hitting a brick wall.
Will Baty, I did the tests you wanted to check the synchros and at 6500 grab the clutch and pull it to N then put it right back in the same gear immediately and it does fine. I did this with both 2nd and 3rd. I will try to do the drill mod this weekend and re-bleed and see if that helps.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

hope you get it all figured out. You gotta love the customer service that centerforce gives! That is what drew me to them in the first place! I have seen several threads started on this website with people talking bad about their centerforce and how they will never own one again. Then Will Baty steps in and resolves the problem without a fuss at all. The funny thing is 9 out of 10 times it ends up being installer error or something other than the clutch (hydraulics)!

Centerforce=
Old 06-07-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
hope you get it all figured out. You gotta love the customer service that centerforce gives! That is what drew me to them in the first place! I have seen several threads started on this website with people talking bad about their centerforce and how they will never own one again. Then Will Baty steps in and resolves the problem without a fuss at all. The funny thing is 9 out of 10 times it ends up being installer error or something other than the clutch (hydraulics)!

Centerforce=
I don't doubt that it is just the clutch hydraulics and the centri weight pushing back on it. The clutches without the weights don't seem to have as many issues. I ran the snot out of a 71 Nova 409 sbc and a cf df for a long while with no issues. I abused the hell out of that clutch. Over 100 launches @ 6000+ and pulling the wheels. I had a 2.52 1st gear, 3.70 rear & 26" tall tires. Car weighted 3400lbs and that clutch worked hard launching with that gearing.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:59 AM
12 Second Club

oh yah.....by the way....BAD *** TRUCK!!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Glad to hear you got it all worked out....for the most part.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Glad to hear you got it all worked out....for the most part.
Well, it's better but not anywhere near acceptable
Old 06-12-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks like we can add my centerforce onto the list of shifting problems....and im not happy.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't messed with the drill mod yet and don't know if I will. The master cyl on my truck is going to be a PITA to get off. I don't even think it has bolts holding it to the firewall. My only options at this point is removing the weights off the plate and seeing how that does or dropping the $$$ on a Textrallia. I'm not in the mood to do free R&D work for Centerforce. I'd rather throw it in the trash than look at it again basically.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Launching!

yup... i bled mine.... it seemed ok for a little bit than i started having the same problem again... probably just gonna drop the car off to ttp have them look at it
Old 06-25-2006, 03:11 AM
Staging Lane

Guys....i also have a CF clutch, and im experiencing the same problem...i found this burried from like 2 years ago.....hope this helps, becasue im DEFINITLY doing this!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...slave+cylinder
Old 06-25-2006, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

i went threw that for 2 year with KC pyane on my 98 camaro, and i had ot give up and go to anouther brand clutch, and the labor of takeing the clutch out and down time on car got ot be to much for me. so went anouther way and had no problems, but KC pyane did help me alot just never got problem solved
Old 06-25-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silverZ98
i went threw that for 2 year with KC pyane on my 98 camaro, and i had ot give up and go to anouther brand clutch, and the labor of takeing the clutch out and down time on car got ot be to much for me. so went anouther way and had no problems, but KC pyane did help me alot just never got problem solved
WTF! Such BS! I'm not going to do their "free" R&D work for them. They told me they would work with me to solve the probem no matter what it was but that isn't good enough. Now that I learn it is at least a 2 year old problem I'm just pissed

Quick Reply: Centerforce DF 12" shifting issues