Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Good (firm) pedal but clutch won't completely disengage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good (firm) pedal but clutch won't completely disengage

I think I have a master cylinder issue.

I just put a new clutch, flywheel, and slave in a 99 TA. I first gravity bled the system (open the bleeder, wait for fluid to drain) to see how well that would work. After I did that, I had a very nice firm pedal, but it seemed that the clutch wouldn't completely disengage. With the pedal on the floor, I could freely move through all the forward gears but with it in gear, the car wanted to move forward a bit, as if the clutch was engaged slightly. It absolutely would not go into reverse. I really wasn't very suprised by this, having not done a propper bleed on the system. So I got some help and gave it a manual bleed. The result was the same, the clutch wouldn't completely disengage. Then I took a Mity vac and tried that approach. Every time I pulled any more than about 14" Hg, I started pulling more air out than fluid, but it would continue pull more vacuum, so I took it up to about 19-20" Hg. From there it would pull air (lots of it) all day. I vacuum bled it for a couple hours, continually getting air and obviously not getting anywhere. I checked the clutch engagement again and it was the same. Great pedal but not disengaging. Tried it again with less vacuum on it. This time I only pulled it down to about 13" Hg. I bled it there for about another hour and still got nowhere with it.

So again, I think I'm pulling air through the master cylinder and the weak master cylinder won't disengage the new clutch completely. Anyone else have any other ideas?

I don't think I have a fluid leak in the system anywhere, as I didn't find any fluid on the floor after hours of bleeding. I did peek into the bellhousing with a borescope to watch the slave movement. The slave began to move immediately when the pedal was pressed. After the pedal was on the floor, it didn't bleed back at all. I had no basis for comparison, so I can't say for sure whether the pressure plate was being engaged all the way, but based on the other symptoms, I think not.

Any other ideas or input would be great. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you driven the car very far yet? My experience with brand new clutches is the same as you described. The grab right at the floor until you put a few miles on them. If you've driven it for a while and it persists, then you've probably got a master problem as you suspected.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

New master solved the problem. Thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Default I am having the same problem

To help me figure out my problem, I was wondering what brand clutch/slave/master did you install? And how much more travel did you get out of the slave after replacing the master?

Quick Reply: Good (firm) pedal but clutch won't completely disengage