Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hydraulic Line Removal HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hydraulic Line Removal HELP!!!

OK guys and gals, here is a picture of the hydraulic clutch line off of my 99 WS6 M6 tranny. I hear there's supposed to be some kind of "white ring" around the line in order to get it off. I don't have the removal tool and have tried desperately with screwdrivers and makeshift items to get it off with no avail. Any suggestions to removing this?

Thanks, Nick
Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic Line Removal HELP!!!-tranny2.jpg  
Old 07-01-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WTF? Looks like the plastic peice that disconnects it is missing. It has a cut in it so i could have fallen off, if thats the case you need another to slip around it then all you have to do is grap a screw driver and get the white plastic peice flush with the plug on the slave and it will pop out.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that's weird...either that, or it's already pushed way down in there and all ya gotta do is pull it out now?

it should easily dis-connect if you take a tiny flat head screw driver or two and push the white collar down.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Default White ring found but...

Ok I found the white ring. It had fallen off while we were under the car. Now I guess I don't understand the white ring. Is it of any use at all? All I can figure is that it's to protect the line from dirt and oil crud. According to Chilton guide I need a "hydraulic clutch line separator" tool. I have attached 2 pictures. What is my next step or am I missing something else?

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic Line Removal HELP!!!-whitering.jpg   Hydraulic Line Removal HELP!!!-tool.jpg  
Old 07-01-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man it has to go inside the part of the slave cylinder that the master plugs into. then you'll need to make the white plastic piece flush with the slave plug. pm me your phone number and i can help you if you still need help.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:04 AM
12 Second Club

push it all the way in and make sure its seated in there top n bottom, then wiggle the line out
Old 07-02-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok you're 1/2 way there man! the plastic sleeve needs to be over the hydraulic line, but inside the slave cylinder. the purpose for the white collar is not to keep out debris, but to disconnect the line. it's basically the same dis connect fitting that's on the fuel line that runs to the rails. theres like 10 prongs or so that hold the slave cylinder onto the hydraulic line. when you push that white collar in, it push's the prongs out so that the line will slide out of slave.

i don't know how the heck it "fell out" or maybe you pried if off earlier or something? it's 4:48 right now and i just got home...i'll get under my car whenever the hell i wake up in the mornin to take a picture for ya so you can see how it goes!

hope that helps ya!
Old 07-02-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Default I got it

Thanks so much for the help guys! I got the damn line off finally. I had to wedge that white plastic piece inside the sleeve part of the tranny. Chilton confused the **** outta me with their description on how to remove the line. There was no mention on the plastic white ring at all. Now all I gotta do is get to the rear main which has become a problem in itself. I still have the tranny attached to the bell housing. The damn thing won't pry off. I got a good gap between the bell housing and motor but it just won't drop out. I'm going to take the tranny off the bell housing this morning then try to get the bell housing off the motor. Hopefully by doing this it will alleviate some weight stress on the bell housing. Any tips appreciated as always.

Thanks again, Nick
Old 07-02-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

well if you're trying to get your trans out, i would suggest taking a look at this site, it's pretty helpful. http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

just go to the "Install Documents" and go to the McLeod Clutch Install and it's pretty useful as far as what order to take stuff out to drop the trans. i used it the first time i swapped my clutch and dropped my trans...i could probably do it with my eyes closed now!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately take the tranny off the bell housing first, then take the bell housing off the motor thats 100 times easier than doing it together.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Halloran: Sorry I didn't see this earlier, for future reference you can leave the hydraulic line attached, slide the transmission back from the bellhousing about and inch, and unscrew the two bolts that hold the slave cylinder to the trans. Then finish removing the trans, leaving the slave dangling in the car with the hydraulics still connected. You'll see what I mean once you get the trans out and see how the slave is fastened down. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He's removed the tranny already, but he had the bellhousing still attached to the tranny so he couldnt have unbolted the slave.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Default Reinstall?

Ok, now how do I get the hydraulic clutch line back in the damn thing? It will go in without an O-ring but with the correct size O-ring on the brass fitting it won't go in! I've tried with all my might to reinstall the clutch line. Any suggestions?

Nick
Old 07-04-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

open the bleeder to install the slave line in the trans. It won't go in with the bleeder closed don't think.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

im having this same problems trying to get the line IN
Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I had the same problem. I had to push the line really hard for it to go in. I also had a problem with the little retaining clip inside the slave. If yours is still inside the slave chances are that its still in good shap. Mine came out and the probllems started there. Like I said just keep pushing it and it should pop right into place.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Default Pontiac Firebird 2000 same issue returning line home

I see that I am not the only one with this issue. I thank you all for explaining the split ring aspect of this one. I was about to buy a new line when I thought this ring split when I was taking it out! This is another time when I hear that I must open the bleeder screw to reinstall the line. If true can some one post picture of the location of this bleeder; darn if I can find it. Thanks so much.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kg1016
This is another time when I hear that I must open the bleeder screw to reinstall the line.
That's not true. You should be able to just pop the line back into the slave.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Line Removal HELP!!!