Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: What do you do?
+ I dont think there's anything wrong with powershifting, I do it all the time.
19.25%
+ I do, but not that often, I think it takes a toll on the clutch.
43.58%
- I tried it once and it scared the hell outta me, never again.
6.42%
- Never, a clutch is not made to do that.
24.34%
- I'm a n00b ban me.
6.42%
Voters: 452. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Powershifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i powershift...nothing else needs to be said...sure it breaks stuff...but you cant get that feeling from an automatic. there is no better feeling then when you have the pedal to the floor and stab the clutch and pull the gears. thats just my opinion though
Old 07-16-2006, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOBMAJER07
i powershift...nothing else needs to be said...sure it breaks stuff...but you cant get that feeling from an automatic. there is no better feeling then when you have the pedal to the floor and stab the clutch and pull the gears. thats just my opinion though
true true nothing feels quite as good as driving it like you stole it.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:37 AM
Teching In

well thank you....^ a REAL driver
Old 07-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TurboDan
My syncros have enough problems as it is! So, no.
Same here. No need to wreck them more!!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

I don't powershift,ever. I can shift fast enough
Old 07-30-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its harder on the syncs and shift keys than the clutch. i rebuilt my tranny right after i got my car so i can fix what i mess up. i prob power shift 1-2 couple times a week just for fun.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Launching!

i agree!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned

This is true, it is pretty awesome.

I think the failsafe combo for powershifting without breaking things is full structure supports (strut tower, trans crossmember, K-Member, Control Arms, ect.), poly engine and trans mounts, aftermarket rear, and a built T56 behind an LS7 clutch
Old 07-31-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

Of course you should powershift while racing. I can't believe anyone would spend the outrageous amounts of money some of us spend to cut a few tenths off the 1/4, only to add those tenths back by granny shifting. If you worry that much about your transmission QUIT ADDING POWER TO YOUR ENGINE. The rest of us will be in the garage replacing whatever breaks with better parts.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

i powershift alot, but my tires suck ***, and start spinning
Old 07-31-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
Of course you should powershift while racing. I can't believe anyone would spend the outrageous amounts of money some of us spend to cut a few tenths off the 1/4, only to add those tenths back by granny shifting. If you worry that much about your transmission QUIT ADDING POWER TO YOUR ENGINE. The rest of us will be in the garage replacing whatever breaks with better parts.
um the rest of us will be shifting within .0001 seconds of a powershift while your in the garage all weekend.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kenkaru
um the rest of us will be shifting within .0001 seconds of a powershift while your in the garage all weekend.
you must not know how much time powershifting saves you.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I've said it before and obviously people aren't reading it. If you gain time from powershifting then you don't know what you're doing. I've done both there is no difference. I've driven other peoples cars who powershift and I've beat there ET and MPH.

If you're taking so long to shift that you can actually build any rpms during the shift, then you probably need to powershift, because you're stupid. What's even more stupid is to come here and say quit adding power to you engine. Power doesn't kill synchros. Bad shifting does.

So, if you can powershift and it helps YOU, and you're not worried about the consequences, then by all means do it. But don't say that its better, just say that you can't drive that well.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 07-31-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

yea between 3 and 4, no point between 1 and 2 and 3 because of the traction loss, havent killed a clutch with it yet, i would say the syncros will be the first to go.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
But don't say that its better just say that you can't drive that well.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not nearly as worried about shift time as I am about closing the throttle butterflies. Even with a BOV it still keeps the turbo spooled better just holding the throttle open. Hell, the actual amount of time the shift takes should be identical whether powershifting or not. The difference is whether you are cutting airflow to your engine for that one or two tenths of a second.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't notice a gain from power shifting you are probably on street tires, and you don't realise it but the tires are spinning after the shift. For most people there is no reason to power shift becuase of this as the tires won't hold it.

Power shifting is kinda like dumping the clutch off the line, except you do it in every gear. Have you ever dumped the clutch at 6k in a car the would hook? Amazingly the car leaves the line really hard and the rpm's stay high where the power is. Power shifting will keep the rpm's higher and give the car a small jump forward, it's not about building rpm, it's about keeping rpm up. Sure it's harder on parts but to say it doesn't help ET shows a lack of experiance in the matter.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not nearly as worried about shift time as I am about closing the throttle butterflies. Even with a BOV it still keeps the turbo spooled better just holding the throttle open. Hell, the actual amount of time the shift takes should be identical whether powershifting or not. The difference is whether you are cutting airflow to your engine for that one or two tenths of a second.

Well, this may be the loop hole to my argument. However, to all the non turbo drivers in this thread you are giving them false info and being very stupid in doing so.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 07-31-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
If you don't notice a gain from power shifting you are probably on street tires, and you don't realise it but the tires are spinning after the shift. For most people there is no reason to power shift becuase of this as the tires won't hold it.

Power shifting is kinda like dumping the clutch off the line, except you do it in every gear. Have you ever dumped the clutch at 6k in a car the would hook? Amazingly the car leaves the line really hard and the rpm's stay high where the power is. Power shifting will keep the rpm's higher and give the car a small jump forward, it's not about building rpm, it's about keeping rpm up. Sure it's harder on parts but to say it doesn't help ET shows a lack of experiance in the matter.

Ok, you don't get it either. It's completely unlike leaving the line in any aspect. You're right in saying that it's all about keeping the rpms up. When I change from one gear to another my rpms are lets say 6000 and they drop to say 4000 and my foot is back on the gas before my other foot is off the clutch. Seems to me like the rpms are staying up pretty well. The jump that you speak of is a side effect of powershifting too slow, believe me I see and hear it all the time. I can speedshift or powershift and do it as smooth as an auto. Although it has to be a smooth tranny with an aftermarket shifter. My method has yet to work in a stock shifter car.

And I didn't say it didn't help. I said that if it did then you need some more practice. Evidently you are the one with the lack of experience. I'm not trying to say that my way is faster, just that it is as fast as powershifting.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow, thanks for calling me very stupid. Unfortunately for you, SPEEDYws6 is exactly right.

Quick Reply: POLL: Powershifting