Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: What do you do?
+ I dont think there's anything wrong with powershifting, I do it all the time.
19.25%
+ I do, but not that often, I think it takes a toll on the clutch.
43.58%
- I tried it once and it scared the hell outta me, never again.
6.42%
- Never, a clutch is not made to do that.
24.34%
- I'm a n00b ban me.
6.42%
Voters: 452. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Powershifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i had a M6 i pwr shifed all the time beat the hell out of the trany but now i go fast w/th 400 soon to be a power glide
Old 10-17-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Once my T56 Rebuilds Micronite trans is broken in, I'll try it eventually. I've got a new clutch and a new pedal from the McLeod ADJ Master, so I'll have to get used to it all over again when broken in.

Previously, I'd let off the gas a little, not all the way. I like to think I shift wicked fast anyway. That's prolly why I had to do a transmission....
Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

is there any other way to shift?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find that powershifting my GTO (Leased(pretty much stock)) helps me vent frustration. My Camaro gets up in the RPM's pretty fast so I let out of the gas just a hair. I guess that is still powershifting but to me it is like smoking Light cigarettes. I am hoping that if it breaks, it will only break a little. If I get cancer it will be light cancer.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Red face Only Real Men Power Shift !

Then theres speed shift or quick shift which is what we do at MOTOR TREND. The guys at CAR & DRIVER grannie shift !
Old 10-25-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Powershifting: it may be ok for you, but I'm not a rich man. I wouldn't pay the cost of a new tran for a mod that would save me the same amount of time on the track.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I tried powershifting vs speed shifting at the track and I didn't gain anything, mph stayed the exact same. If you speed shift as fast as you powershift, you won't gain **** in the 1/4 by powershifting, it's not worth the toll it takes on the tranny. JFYI, ever since the last trip to the track powershifting, the tranny doesn't shift as smooth.
LOL You daint powershifting like you claim then..lololol
Old 11-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Teching In

If you need to shift like that, you are throwing money away. Why don't you take that money and get more power. Nothing says "I OWN YOU" like granny shifting, or better yet, not downshifting up from 4th gear at 65........ Mustang owners frickin hate it!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Launching!

anyone ever heard of 'ya gotta pay to play'???

if you arent gonna risk breaking your car.. dont drive it. driving breaks them, so does flooring it (it wears stuff out!!! GASP).
Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LordOfChaos
anyone ever heard of 'ya gotta pay to play'???

if you arent gonna risk breaking your car.. dont drive it. driving breaks them, so does flooring it (it wears stuff out!!! GASP).
true, but if you CAN prevent it from breakin. dont do it. and when it does break your reaction should oh well.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to do it more often b4 but I like speedshifting now, it's smoother.
I don't like the jolt from powershifting sometimes. I dont think it helps any.
I think the guys saying that it is no real aid are right.

Shift dammit, shift fast with the 5.0 pro. Now I dont know about letting off the gas completely ***** that.

I do like a foot wiggle thing out of courtesy to PREVENT that jolt from true powershifting, which could happen if I maintian my foot down in WOT. It's slight and very fast and it prevents hitting the rev limiter.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

im not gona say i dont powershift i try to do it only on the track because i know its hard on the clutch shoot my 6200 launches are hard enoough on everything..
Old 11-11-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Powershift!!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...55766185&hl=en

Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums
Old 11-12-2006, 07:07 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your hitting limiter, then you ain't shifting fast enough. Thats for damn sure. At that point, of course you aren't going to gain anything....

Nice vid Rick! Car sounds real good.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
Nice shifting
Old 11-13-2006, 05:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
If your hitting limiter, then you ain't shifting fast enough. Thats for damn sure. At that point, of course you aren't going to gain anything....
You might have your TPS sensor plugged into your MAP wiring, crossing over to the EGR Solenoid falsifying low-hi res Opti pulses.............. cuz it can happen, specially if your shifting up up there to begin with.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Default don't let internet buzzkills make your choice for you

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

Nice vid Rick! Car sounds real good.
ain't that the truth!

Like I said a couple pages back, experiment, don't be scaird, try it and see if your times get quicker, if they don't, do what works best for you and to hell with what everybody else does.

However, if you are not easily discouraged, not afraid of running your car hard at the track and practice to make it second nature you will be doing it without even realizing you did. I am not bullshieting when I say I have no idea, until I can look at the telemetry afterwards to know if I stayed firm on the gas or flinched off it to 75-85% TPS. Your focus should be on the clutch pedal, shiftlight and the shifter, not the gas once you launch, I mean it is the dragstrip, you are suppossed to mash the gas, right? When you learn to shift FAST, fast enough to not hit the rev limiter you will replace that death grip on the shifter with open fingers so you can let the centering springs do what they are in the shifter to do (find 3rd and 4th) and everything else will happen like magic. If you are thinking about it too much (not enough practice/confidence), you will screw up just like golf or bowhunting or whatever you can think of that requires practice to make learned movements second nature.

Don't let the scairdy cats, influence you, it really is not that much of a big deal and unless you miss and grind like a ****, your T-56 can handle it, it is much tougher than you think.

here is a novel idea: try it for yourself and see if it is for you and don't let some internet buzzkills make your choice for you.

first time to the track with my new to me SS and I was keeping the pedal to the metal, yeah I have been to the track a couple time before and I run another car with a T-56 so it felt very comfortable but come on, just Git-r-Dun for God's sake?

here is a preview of that first weekend with the SS at the track with me cussing quite a bit (it is a new ride to me!) but shifting wasn't the issue.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Shift how you're most comfortable with and the times will come. IMO speedshifting is the way to go because I drive my car daily and clutches for LT1 T56s are not exactly cheap.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

I used to powershift with the stock Ls6 clutch. My success rate has dropped to 50% since putting in the liteweight flywheel and Spec 4 clutch. I'm gald I didnt break anything coming up with the second set of numbers. I am Speed shifting now.

Love all the tough talk by the ballers in this thread that have tons of money laying around to rebuild their tranny. If you powershift, its just a matter of time before you screw up the 2-3 royally, no matter how good you are.. Then you can drop all that MTV cribs money on your new STOCK tranny.........Glad I got away with it as long as I did.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
So which do you do and why?

When I say powershifting, I mean pushing the clutch in but leaving the pedal to the metal. Basicly not letting up on the gas.
I powershift often because I'm a jackass and like to hear the 2nd gear burnout. 39 years old and lost license 3 times...you'd think I'd learn. Anyway, when they make streetracing a capital crime, I'm moving through the express lane!

Quick Reply: POLL: Powershifting