Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possible bad U joint, or????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bad U joint, or????

This is for a friend's Hawk. Any help would be great!!

Traveling on the highway around 70mph. Shifted from 5th to 6th. When I pulled up the clutch once it was in 6th gear, it made the sound as if you are 1/2 way in a gear and the vibration kicks you into neutral b/c you didn't push into gear hard enough. I had already given the gas a tap by the time I realized what was going on, so the engine had a chance to rev while the sound was happening. It caused a rumble from the general tranny area, as well as a shaking from the same area (I could feel it slightly in the shifter). I couldn't tell how far back it was b/c I was in the car w/ the windows up at the time.
I put the shifter into neutral and revved the engine once to make sure it was still sounding ok. After it went back to idle I tried a few other gears. (I was coasting by now and had slowed down a bit, so any gear from 3rd to 5th would have been acceptable). Each time I applied any gas once it was in gear, it would do the same rumble/shake. I coasted to the curb and had the car flatbedded home.
To manuver the car into position for the flatbed, I was able to use 1st and reverse if careful. If I gave it too much gas, the rumble/shake would happen.
One friend suggested it might be something wrong w/ one of the U-joints. Thoughts?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PopaPork
This is for a friend's Hawk. Any help would be great!!

Traveling on the highway around 70mph. Shifted from 5th to 6th. When I pulled up the clutch once it was in 6th gear, it made the sound as if you are 1/2 way in a gear and the vibration kicks you into neutral b/c you didn't push into gear hard enough. I had already given the gas a tap by the time I realized what was going on, so the engine had a chance to rev while the sound was happening. It caused a rumble from the general tranny area, as well as a shaking from the same area (I could feel it slightly in the shifter). I couldn't tell how far back it was b/c I was in the car w/ the windows up at the time.
I put the shifter into neutral and revved the engine once to make sure it was still sounding ok. After it went back to idle I tried a few other gears. (I was coasting by now and had slowed down a bit, so any gear from 3rd to 5th would have been acceptable). Each time I applied any gas once it was in gear, it would do the same rumble/shake. I coasted to the curb and had the car flatbedded home.
To manuver the car into position for the flatbed, I was able to use 1st and reverse if careful. If I gave it too much gas, the rumble/shake would happen.
One friend suggested it might be something wrong w/ one of the U-joints. Thoughts?

U-Joint would be a good place to start and cheapest fix, the clutch would be another thing to consider or flywheel. Hope you find the problem and isn't too costly.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an inspection is in order really. Hard to tell what happened sight unseen/unheard. Might be clutch or internal trans even. Hope it is something simple.