stick
76.53%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

go stick or stay auto?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the swap about 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier. I would definately recommend it. I don't go to the drag strip so I don't need an automatic transmission.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just stay with the auto and build it....itll cost less, and if its done right there wont be any m6s guys that would beat you....(if both cars are same in perfomance)
Old 08-20-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Seeing that you are interested in road racing, I voted manual transmission for obvious reasons.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

For 1/4 mi. racing you can't beat the auto. I have an M6 so you know I aint lyin. You might actually beat it but not consistently. Same exact driver and mods being equal, auto will will 4 outta 5 times.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Teching In

This is an old post, but I just saw it. I voted M6 simply because I like shifting gears and having the control on the street, road course, or autocross course that the manual box provides. However, in a drag race, the automatic takes out the human error element. Driven well an M6 will often win, but humans make more mistakes than electronics and hydraulics, so the auto will often win at the digs.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

I currently drive a stalled auto and am making an M6 swap myself.
The way I see it is this: If you're going to be going to your local drag strip every weekend, or even just frequently, keep the auto. If you're killing yourself over the best ET possible and want easy 60 foots, keep the auto.

I use my car as a daily driver. I have no plans to go to the track anymore, as I haven't been in over a year. My commute is 8 miles with 3 stop lights. Since I don't street race (Haven't had someone even rev at me in over a year) and I don't drag race at the track, I have no need for a stalled auto. I would rather have fun with the car in the way I do use it, which is just normal street driving.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the swap and im loving it.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

i currently drive an auto and damn i wish i had of waited and gotten a stick. much more versatile and all around less boring.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

A4 all the way. No m6 can touch my stalled auto. It blows peoples mines that I have an auto, after they see me race.

1.perfect shifts
2.launch hard (w/stall)
3.no missed shifts.. aka. excuses. lol!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hell'sChariot
3.no missed shifts.. aka. excuses. lol!
haha nice. so true!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by melchoir
I currently drive a stalled auto and am making an M6 swap myself.
The way I see it is this: If you're going to be going to your local drag strip every weekend, or even just frequently, keep the auto. If you're killing yourself over the best ET possible and want easy 60 foots, keep the auto.

I use my car as a daily driver. I have no plans to go to the track anymore, as I haven't been in over a year. My commute is 8 miles with 3 stop lights. Since I don't street race (Haven't had someone even rev at me in over a year) and I don't drag race at the track, I have no need for a stalled auto. I would rather have fun with the car in the way I do use it, which is just normal street driving.
Wow, that sounds really boring. Maybe you should look into getting a economy car, something just to get you from point A to point B. It seems your car would be better off with someone who would drive it the way it should be driven.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have driven stick for over 37 yrs....3 cars had auto....never have another auto.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
Wow, that sounds really boring. Maybe you should look into getting a economy car, something just to get you from point A to point B. It seems your car would be better off with someone who would drive it the way it should be driven.
Have no worries there, my car has certainly been driven the way it should have.
It's had it's share of fun as an auto, and later with a cam/stall.

Now, it's M6 and we'll see how much more enjoyment overall I get out of it.

Trying to be the fastest isn't for everyone. I'd rather build a car for someone's specific purposes than throw money at making something "quicker" for no apparent reason.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by melchoir
Have no worries there, my car has certainly been driven the way it should have.
It's had it's share of fun as an auto, and later with a cam/stall.

Now, it's M6 and we'll see how much more enjoyment overall I get out of it.

Trying to be the fastest isn't for everyone. I'd rather build a car for someone's specific purposes than throw money at making something "quicker" for no apparent reason.
I agree, does not matter if it's m6 or a4 having fun driving your car is what's most important. Picking the tranny that you enjoy driving most is the best thing to do.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just got done swapping my car to a T56 tonight and I freakin love it, would never go back. I spent around $2000 dollers and it was worth every penny. Generally 6-speed cars cost more, I settled for an auto cause it was cheap. converted it to a stick way cheaper than I could have bought an M6 Trans Am for.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

I voted manual but it's all up to you! Don't let anyone talk you into it or out of it. It depends on what you want to do with the car though. If you want to fly through your own gears through the corners on the street or road course, get a manual. If you get tired of shifting, if it's your daily driver you almost definately will I do a lot, or if you want to be competitive and take your car to the dragstrip a lot stay with auto. Even though I get tired of driving the stick it's not often, Usually when I've had a long day and I'm in heavy traffic, but I've never regretted doing the swap. I did it almost 2 years ago. the manual is a little more reliable but people do have problems with the clutch hydraulics or synchros going out when they're beat on and not driven right, and you will have to change the clutch once in a while etc. etc. the auto is a bit easier with mainly fluid changes, but can be blown up too especially when beat on and a lot of horsepower... Whatever you decide make sure you will have fun with it.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

totally being bias cause ive never driven an automatic LS1 so STICK!
Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
I did the swap too. I always wanted a 6 speed because I have always liked road racing but just bought my car with an auto because at the time i didn't know how to drive a manual. So after the swap i've been more happy driving the car than i did with the stalled auto.
Also if you like going to the drag strip all the time then you're going to hate the 6 speed. You build a car for the type of driving you do and like.
Did the all the 2nd gear drops in my car have anything to do with it? Or the time we patted the gas on the 350Z?

Ahh good times.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Did the all the 2nd gear drops in my car have anything to do with it? Or the time we patted the gas on the 350Z?

Ahh good times.
Lol real good times man. Blastin down the beltway and 290 also helped.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

I've had both an Auto & an M6. I liked my auto with my 3600 stall and I know that they are more consistent in the 1/4. But how much time do you spend racing? I like my M6 that I have now because they are fun to drive and my car rarely sees the track. If you spend a lot of time at the track, stick with your auto and go with at least a 3000 stall. My 3600 stall was a perfect stall for an A4 F-body. Plus A4's are easier on your rear end and related parts.