Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fastest clutch swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fastest clutch swap

I did it in 7 hours by myself today. It was the 3rd time in 4 years so that helps a lot.

I can see it being done in 3 hours.

I have a great new technique for getting the tranny bolted to the bellhousing.
Take the bolt for the torque arm mount and slide a 3/4" socket over it. Now it will be the perfect length (a little longer than the tranny bolts) to pull the tranny and bellhousing together when the slave is making it impossible.

So who's done it faster? How many people were on the job? Share your best time saving tips!

I thought I'd save two minutes by leaving the torque arm mount on. Two seconds later, while loosening the 1st tranny bolt, I crushed my finger between the wrench and the torque arm mount. Needless to say, I took the time to remove it after that!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Good stuff! I didn't realize it was the slave causing troubles to pull the motor/tranny together ... I thought it was maybe a little out of alignment with the pilot bearing or something?! But that makes sense. Good tip using the TQ arm bolt for that!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, my first swap took 26 hours straight. Well, if you don't count passing out under the car.

Another tip: For the clamshell POS on the front of the torque arm. It goes on pretty easy with the body of the car jacked up so the rear susp in unloaded. ...or vis versa I can't remember. If it isn't going on, mess with jacking the body or lowering it.
and
Because of the shape of the bellhousing, once one side comes loose, that side will keep popping off and making it impossible to free the difficult side. One side of the bellhousing came off easily and the other was jammed. Eventually, I put a bolt back in most of the way to hold the easy side from popping off and then worked on the stubborn side and it came loose very quickly.

It's all the litte things that make it a long job. If we can compile a good list of techniques, it will be a snap!

Pete,
I fought with it thinking it was misaligned for hours the first two times too! I only realized it was the slave this time because I did it on a lift so I could see a lot better. I can't wait to try out this ebay clutch and 13lb FW tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great advice thanx forr the tips
Old 08-19-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I had previously installed a poly TQ arm mount into my car (~2 years ago) and I helped a friend install one on his at the same time. WHAT A B!TCH!!!

Now when I swapped the A4 for the M6 a couple weeks ago, it's not hard un-doing the TQ arm, but I was fearing putting it back together. BUT, it went REALLY EASY!! I used a pry bar, and hooked the top of the TQ arm, and used the bottom edge of the tranny/driveshaft tunnel as leverage (it sorta pushed on the fuel/brake lines a little) but I was able to pry it perfectly into place, hold the bar with one hand, and get the top bolt started on the bracket with the other! I was shocked how easy it went! Both other times it seemed to take 2 people using all 4 hands to get that damn thing together.

I think my time was around ~24 hours for the A4 --> M6 swap, but I've still got a little wiring left to do (reverse lights, clutch switch, and maybe reverse lock-out) so that'll be another ~hr of tinkering around, but in and among I had to pull out my amp power wire (I had it run exactly where the clutch pedal was supposed to be!) and other odds and sods like that.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By myself on the floor it takes about 2.5 hours.I've done a ton of them.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:16 PM
9 Second Club

Im right @ about 1hr 1/2. I have done this wayyyy to many times. Usally taking my time and no need to hurry up around 2 1/2 hrs. One day I had a guy bring me both of his f bodies and I had them both swapped out within 2 1/2 hrs. It was great calling the guy saying his cars were ready
Old 08-19-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2- 2.5 hrs if you have a little pep in your step thats how i roll lol
Old 08-19-2006, 07:23 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was able to do my mustang clutch in just over 2 hours.

but my first time on the bird it took probably about 10-12 hours total (and that includes changing the master and slave)

but i didnt do it by myself, i had somebody help me.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You guys are crazy. It took me about 18 hours from the time the car was being pulled into the garage, to the time the car was being pulled out of the garage after all the tools were cleaned and put away. I replaced the clutch/pp/flywheel, slave, master and pilot bearing. That was with 2 people most of the time with a 3rd one helping for a little while. We also had 2 jacks. I had a problem with getting the transmission to slide in the last 1/2" and that took forever for some reason . I also have a new hatred for that U-shaped bolt that holds the master cylinder in . Other than that, it just took a while, but everthing worked smoothly.

This was the most in depth thing I've ever done to a car, so I guess you could call me somewhat of a newbie. I am learnin and getting better tho . Next up is the 9", torque arm, and driveshaft.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:42 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Fastest was 45 minutes on a lift. Avg. 2 hours normally though, a lot depends on how intrusive the exhaust is.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Fastest was 45 minutes on a lift. Avg. 2 hours normally though, a lot depends on how intrusive the exhaust is.
That's pretty awesome man. I think we have a winner!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:23 AM
9 Second Club

It only takes me around 1 1/2-2 hours to do the hole job but its been done so many times so everything comes out nice and easy. But on cars that have never been apart before it has taken me a extra hour or two.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Takes me about 4 hours, maybe a little less to do, on my back in the garage. That is, unless its 115 degrees outside, then it takes me about 14 hours, over 2 days. When theres PUDDLES of sweat under the creeper, you shouldnt be working in the garage.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

traction loss on the creeper is dangerous ****!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it takes me.... oh wait. I cant even change my own spark plugs.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
it takes me.... oh wait. I cant even change my own spark plugs.
Good answer! I still can't believe some people can do it in 2 hours. Having a lift must make a big difference over doing it on the garage floor.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had to crawl in the engine bay and one knee on the manifold and other on the lid to get my plugs out...
Old 08-21-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98hardtopZ
i had to crawl in the engine bay and one knee on the manifold and other on the lid to get my plugs out...
so did the rest of us
Old 08-21-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine took about 7-8 hours including adj. master/slave, and modifying my Ram Adj master fo fit It was a lot easier than i thought it would have been. Everything went real smooth. We spent more time sitting around drinking beer, and BSing than antrhing lol. It was my first clutch swap as well.
Oh, and that was garage floor on jackstands. Just lifting the transmission in and out. Not near as bad as i thought it would have been.

Quick Reply: Fastest clutch swap