Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Adding friction modifier necessary when using Honda ATF with M6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding friction modifier necessary when using Honda ATF with M6?

I'm about to do a fluid change in my '99 Firehawk M6 (23K on the clock) due to a notchy upshift feel. I figure it's a good time to change the fluid anyhow, and on the recommendations of a few, I'll give the Honda ATF a try. As I understand, this is not a Dexron III fluid, so will I need to add a bottle of rearend friction modifier or not?
Old 06-16-2002, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Adding friction modifier necessary when using Honda ATF with M6?

Well to not answer your question... I've used both the Honda ATF and Redline D4/ATF, and although for a while I thought the Honda stuff was better, now I'm back to the Redline stuff and I'd say it works better. I was trying to fix the same problem as you. OTOH I never tried any additive with the Honda ATF - would be interested to know what that does. By the way neither one will eliminate notchiness, but can maybe reduce it.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Adding friction modifier necessary when using Honda ATF with M6?

Ive had no probs with my tranny, so at 46k I changed the fluid and used the dextron. It served me well up to now so Ill stick with it. Im told you DO NOT want to add limited slip additive to the tranny! Thats just what I heard , but I sure would investigate further before I added it !! IMO

Quick Reply: Adding friction modifier necessary when using Honda ATF with M6?