Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing vs. bronze bushing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot bearing vs. bronze bushing

Ok im nto gonna lie i have no idea why the bushing would be better? Can someone enlighten me why... or the pros and cons of the two... It just seems to me that a bearing would have more pros than cons it has needle bearings that can hold grease it would move easier and most likely hold up to more punishment, am i completely wrong? Im about to remove my old one so give me an idea as to what i should reinstall.... please!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bushing is cheaper, and much less likely to break because there are not moving parts. Bushings in general are outdated IMO though. Bearing technology has pretty much completely replaced the use/need of bushings.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thats what i thought but i see on these boards people saying there putting in bushing instead... theyre not that much more expensive so its like why? But im goin in the garage now to pull the old one and put in the new one.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the bushing simply because I have seen too many failed bearings. I think the bearing would be better, until it decided to go out. The bushing may wear a little, but it will never break and fall apart like a bearing. A bad bearing is not good for the input shaft.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, i understand that point of view!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

I found a lot of threads on this when I searched a few months ago and I actually purchased the bearing when I purchased my clutch parts. But after seeing the stock bearing and how dry it was after 40k miles and reading on here about the bronze bushing being a wet type metal that doesn't need lubricating, I put the $2 bushing in and don't regret it. PM me your mailing address and I'll help you make your mind up by giving you a brand new bearing for nothing.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Launching!

when i had my tranny rebuilt i was told to run a bushing because the needle bearing would chew up my input shaft with the strengthing process that was done to it. dont know the specifics of it, but i ran the bushing and havent had any problems with it.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

T56Rebuilds also recommends the bronze bushing as opposed to the bearing for the same reasons as stated above: the needle bearings can wear and eventually cause damage to the input shaft.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
T56Rebuilds also recommends the bronze bushing as opposed to the bearing for the same reasons as stated above: the needle bearings can wear and eventually cause damage to the input shaft.
do the $2 bronze bushing and don't look back.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

WEll thanks guys i guess im gonna go return my iced (been in the freezer) bearing and put in a bushing. Im at the point where the trans has to go back in, so when i return the blind hole puller ill pick up a bushing. Thanks again, rob

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing vs. bronze bushing