Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod master rebuild problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mcleod master rebuild problems.

I"m trying to rebuild my mcleod master for my C5 vette.

To begin with let me say that if I ever meet the bastard who designed the coupler between the master and the slave I will sodomize him with every tool that I attempted to seperate it with. I've had it apart several times, but this time it absolutely will not come apart.

In the end I had to unscrew the end off my master to get it out of the car..leaving the line in the car.

So anyway, I've honed and cleaned the master. But when I attempted to put it back together, I noticed the seal kept rolling over and getting wedged under the spring Its not for lack of lubrication because I"m pouring brake fluid all over everything. After several times of prying it all back apart and ressembling(good thing I bought two new seals) I assume its because there is no pressure from the slave holding it straight.

Just to be sure, which direction should the seal face ? When I disassembled it the flat part of the seal was facing the spring. Is this correct ?

So I reinstall the master on the car and start trying to bleed it. After an hour of bleeding it(yes I know the proper way) I've gotten nowhere. The reservoir has barely gone down and the pedal is still completely dead. My fear is that the seal has rolled over again and is stuck at the bottom of the cylinder.

No I didnt bench bleed the master, as stated above I cant because I have the line off of it so there is no way to hold the fluid in it. Just trying to head off the pointless questions

Why the hell does the seal keep rolling over like that ?!

Any help is appreciated guys.

Last edited by MawneeC5; 09-08-2006 at 08:30 AM.