Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

power bled my clutch. great results

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I found that when I pressurized my system, I had a leak - a sizable one - and it appeared to come from the hose connecting the master cylinder to the reservoir. There was a friggin' zip-tie connecting the hose to the reservoir! Is it supposed to be like that from the factory?

I also found that the fluid in there was VERY dark - almost black. I dont think I've seen brake fluid get that dark. First pic is in the reservoir, second was in a clear glass I siphoned it in to. Any thoughts on why this may have happened? Is it just old fluid?
Attached Thumbnails power bled my clutch. great results-cimg2289.jpg   power bled my clutch. great results-cimg2291.jpg  

Last edited by gun4hire; 10-05-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall correctly, they are all zip-tied from the factory like that. It isn't a high pressure system, so it suffices.

As for the brake fluid...mine has been exactly that color in the past. For that very reason, I am making it a point to bleed my clutch fluid (full swap) more often (at least every year, if not ever 6 months).
Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well that zip tie (and the corresponding hose) pretty much slipped off with nothing more than a gentle pry with a screwdriver. When I tried to pressure up to 10psi (recommended by Motive) to test - that's where it leaked.

I've now used a regular hose clamp and successfully pressurized the system - all seems well now...so onward to bleed the whole system!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gun4hire
I also found that the fluid in there was VERY dark - almost black. I dont think I've seen brake fluid get that dark. First pic is in the reservoir, second was in a clear glass I siphoned it in to. Any thoughts on why this may have happened? Is it just old fluid?
That's disgusting. The zip tie is fine for intended function (it wasn't designed to be pressurized). I have a clamp on mine now too. Removed the zip tie. It's not easy getting to the master is it?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I havent replaced the zip-tie at the master, just the one at the reservoir.

I got off topic - I'll start another thread for my troubles...
Old 10-06-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

I wonder when some people use the mity vac if this is the source of the 'endless bubbles?' I would mity vac to 15psi....when I was at 20psi I would sometimes see a bubble every 15 seconds or so, which went on for 20 minutes..... So, you just tightened a standard hose clamp (screw driver tighten type)?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

wait 20.... i thought you wernt supossed to go any farther than 8.... any higher i thought would mess up the seals...
Old 10-06-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Well, Motive says not to exceed 20psi with their power bleeder, but I don't see why a lower pressure wouldn't get the job done. When using the mity vac in the past (vacuum vs. pressure), I'd use 15psi and 20psi per the Buschman method.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrEddie
I wonder when some people use the mity vac if this is the source of the 'endless bubbles?' I would mity vac to 15psi....when I was at 20psi I would sometimes see a bubble every 15 seconds or so, which went on for 20 minutes..... So, you just tightened a standard hose clamp (screw driver tighten type)?
Yeah, the connection to the bottom of the reservoir is a rubber hose onto a plastic nipple with at poorly tightened zip-tie. Before I replaced the zip with a hose clamp, I couldn't muster 5psi without it leaking. When I went to remove the hose/zip tie from the reservior, I just needed a easy pry with a screwdriver. I probably could have done a twist/pull by hand. Under vaccum, I could see this easily being the source of drawing air. I'm also thinking there is a zip tie where the other end of the hose enters the MC.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, Motive says not to exceed 20psi with their power bleeder, but I don't see why a lower pressure wouldn't get the job done. When using the mity vac in the past (vacuum vs. pressure), I'd use 15psi and 20psi per the Buschman method.
My motive speed bleeder says 10psi to check for leaks. 10psi is MORE than enough to push brake fluid through, so I wouldn't exceed this level - at least when working with the clutch. Doing brakes (what the bleeder is principally designed for - no rubber hoses) would be a different story.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by gun4hire
My motive speed bleeder says 10psi to check for leaks. 10psi is MORE than enough to push brake fluid through, so I wouldn't exceed this level - at least when working with the clutch. Doing brakes (what the bleeder is principally designed for - no rubber hoses) would be a different story.
10 psi is more than enough for the brakes as well.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

My Motive power bleeder has a metal crimp on clamp holding the tubing to the can, as well as the different adapters holding the quick disconnect on. I opted to spend the few extra bucks for the Pro version just for the extra adapters and the quick disconnect fittings. I used 15 psi to bleed my clutch and brakes, but it drops to 10 psi fairly quick once you pop a bleeder. I had 0 problems with mine.

Dan
Old 10-06-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

I tested mine today and it'll go up to 10psi but will drop very slowly - I hope it won't be an issue. I can hear a very faint hissing around the cap - maybe I don't have it tight enough, or like it was mentioned, it isn't designed to be pressurized to begin with.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Second Club

They don't call it a pressure bleeder for nothing, lol. Is mine the only one that works right or what .
Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Mine would lose a little pressure, but not much...it was leaking around the cap too, but I just tightened it a little more, and it was fine.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

I just got one last week, was going to try this weekend but could not get hold of my buddy to use his lift. Dammit anyway
Old 10-08-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

I finally got around to doing mine today and it rocks! I used one bottle of GM hydraulic fluid with just a small portion left over. I don't totally understand the fluid dynamics, but I was confused when I noticed the fluid in the clear hose was separated by 2 air pockets (see pic). I thought it would have to be a solid stream of fluid, but I guess it's the last stream of fluid going into the reservoir that's important. Anyway, I pumped to 10 psi and the level didn't really drop after a while, which makes me think the perceived drop in psi during the leak test was primarily the air in the master/slave compressing. I cracked the bleeder, left it open for a few seconds and then closed - no pumping of the pedal :-) I did this for about 10 times since this is when the fluid level in the hose dropped into the reservoir. I kept the power bleeder surrounded by a plastic bag since there was a small leak around the brass connections. Anyway, I took it for a drive and it is much, much better. I wasn't locked out of gear after keeping the pedal depressed for 10 seconds (which almost always happened before). Now, I'm scrapping the solobleeders and am going to do the brakes.

Picture too large...I'm going to have to work on shrinking it.

Last edited by MrEddie; 10-08-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

For me, the brakes were even easier to bleed than the clutch. Actually, it was the first time I had ever bled them (kinda sad, I know).
Old 10-08-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Here's the cropped pic of the Motive bleeder in action. It's at 10 psi and I probably opened/closed the bleeder screw 4 times at this point. Anyway, there's the solid stream of fluid right above the reservoir (reservoir is full to the top at this point), but then there are these air pockets behind the stream. Did anyone else experience this? I guess it may be normal since everything seemed to work out. Thanks! I wish I had known about this product from day 1.
Attached Thumbnails power bled my clutch. great results-motive1.jpg  
Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Here's the cropped pic of the Motive bleeder in action. It's at 10 psi and I probably opened/closed the bleeder screw 4 times at this point. Anyway, there's the solid stream of fluid right above the reservoir (reservoir is full to the top at this point), but then there are these air pockets behind the stream. Did anyone else experience this? I guess it may be normal since everything seemed to work out. Thanks! I wish I had known about this product from day 1.
Yep. It's normal and nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: power bled my clutch. great results