Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cartek clutch creaking sound...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cartek clutch creaking sound...

I've had a Cartek clutch for about a year now. It hasn't been abused at the track and has about 10k miles on it. When I put the car in gear and feather the clutch to engagement it makes a godawful groaning sound. If I just drop the clutch it's fine, nice and quiet. Unfortunately I can't go around spraining passengers' necks at every stop light. Any ideas as far as what's causing this? I have a Fidanza aluminum flywheel too if that might be a factor. Any ideas?
Old 07-30-2002, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Cartek clutch creaking sound...

Mine does this too if its cold outside. Not sure what it is, but perhaps its the TO bearing?
Old 07-30-2002, 09:18 PM
8 Second Club

Mine makes the same noise.And mine only has about a 1k miles on it.Doesn't sound very good...
Old 07-30-2002, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cartech makes a shhhhhhhh noise when I let it out and am in garage or somewhere the sound can reflect back and makes a squeaking creaking noise also..can't remember if its when I push it in or let it out..maybe both..the squeaking/creaking noise is coming from the master squeaking..want to get a mcleold master..heard they are quiet..the factory master is piece of junk..cartech just modifies it.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

My99: The shhhh sound is likely just the clutch disc material as it makes transition to the pressure plate and flywheel, engaging. Normal, you probably just never noticed it.

WSlow: The growling noise is likely coming from the release bearing, or it could be 'gear rattle'. The factory discs use a dual dampened hub that takes up alot of the low load gear noises, when you change to aftermarket you do not have this hub assy. My 99 vette makes a little bearing growl on engagement...