Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

RAM Dual Disk Street Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default RAM Dual Disk Street Review

I just got my C5 back after having a 402 installed. We went with the RAM DD clutch. When Phil first baced my car out of the garage I said "WTF is that noise?". It's the clutch. There are a lot of moving parts here and the clutch does rattle when disengaged. No so much that you can't get used to it.

Now the good news. Pedal pressure is extremely light. About like stock. There is absolutely no chatter. Engagement is quick and firm. The clutch still needs a few hundred miles break in but I think it will only get better. This clutch is rated for 900 lbs/torque so it should be good for my 500 or so.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it rattles?!?! huh
Old 12-04-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
it rattles?!?! huh
There is a center plate between to 2 friction plates. When disengaged that's a lof of stuff moving around. I think the aluminum flywheel amplifies the sound a littlte also.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I think that is inherent in nearly all multi-disc setups...there is a lot of stuff moving around. Hell...my T-56 with bronze fork pad makes noise when it is spinning (trans in neutral, clutch engaged).
Old 12-04-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I just got my C5 back after having a 402 installed. We went with the RAM DD clutch. When Phil first baced my car out of the garage I said "WTF is that noise?". It's the clutch. There are a lot of moving parts here and the clutch does rattle when disengaged. No so much that you can't get used to it.

Now the good news. Pedal pressure is extremely light. About like stock. There is absolutely no chatter. Engagement is quick and firm. The clutch still needs a few hundred miles break in but I think it will only get better. This clutch is rated for 900 lbs/torque so it should be good for my 500 or so.
My clutch is a McLEOD street twin with a steel FW. Never had any strange noise's or problems - was installed in May of 06.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by david vericker
My clutch is a McLEOD street twin with a steel FW. Never had any strange noise's or problems - was installed in May of 06.
Like I said, it may be the aluminum flywheel and center plate.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I think that is inherent in nearly all multi-disc setups...there is a lot of stuff moving around. Hell...my T-56 with bronze fork pad makes noise when it is spinning (trans in neutral, clutch engaged).
Yeah I know some of the higher stage Spec clutchs do the same thing.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

So it's been about two months, how do you like it?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

My Supra's TRD Twin Disc did the same thing and I H A T E D it......

Never got used to it. I found that when I turned the AC on it would go away because the RPM's would be higher at idle. Doubt that will help you with YOUR car but sheesh I feel ya.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the aftermarket clutches don't have straps to hold the floater plates, actually I think the only one that does have a strap to keep it from ratting is the Mcleod twin discs.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Teching In

I have the ram street dual in my 383 stroker camaro. This clutch has a stock pedal feel and grabs a looootttt. I use it with a full weight car with 28x10.5x15 drag slicks and I have problems with tire shocking in the 60' (1.47 with 10feet tire spin). I'm not a clutch slipper. Engagement is very firm with no chatter. It hits so hard that it broke my 35 splines locker (6800rpm clutch dump)! Maybe I had a weak unit. Now, I have to work on my suspension to get this thing hook and install a spool. The T56 main shaft is probably the next thing that will break.

Note. I had to grind the master cylinder bump stop (cone shape) inside the master cylinder to increase fluid displacement (piston travel) even with the ram adjustable master because the clutch was not disengaging properly. No shim is required behind the slave by the way. Rattle when I press the pedal is not so bad.

Very good clutch that needs very strong parts behind it

SSDION
Old 09-21-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My tex twin has same floater rattle when pushed in its quiet when clutch pedal is not pushed in. It has reasonable pedal pressure and seems to grab hard. Still not that streetable but continuing to see if it gets better with more miles. I may try the triple out with their street discs as heard the tex twin with street discs while being great to drive may not hold my planned power.

Quick Reply: RAM Dual Disk Street Review