Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Blew my freakin' pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew my freakin' pilot bearing

So I am pulling into work this morning and I push the clutch in to switch into first and then...SQUEEEL POP! I thought it was the throwout bearing since I couldn't put it into gear, but after it sat for I day it drove just fine. I still get a hard shift every once in a while though. I am sure that the input shaft is galled up so I was wandering what to do with it. I had an idea of turning it down at a machine shop so it can accept a bronze self lube bushing. Does this sound like a viable plan?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Banned

A viable plan to me would be to remove the trans and find out what the problem is.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Teching In

I was just asking if anybody had any experience with modifying the input shafts. I am not some dumbass looking for someone to tell me what's wrong..
Old 12-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Banned

Doesn't sound like a bad pilot. If it was, the roller pilot and the bronze pilot have the same ID anyway so turning it down won't help.
I'm not trying to tell you whats wrong. More like trying to say you're most likely not going to have to tear the trans down to get the input out to have it machined and get a custom machined bronze pilot to go with it. Not a common repair procedure.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

my old 99ta's pilot took a dump...got hard to shift and was dragging into the next gear....ended up being the pilot....bearings were dust....got a new one, input shaft was galled, just took some fine grit lapping paper and smoothed it down, input shaft had a lot of play so i put a new input shaft bearing in the tranny....easy, just opened up the trans, cleaned what i needed to put it back together per factory specs and the play in the shaft was gone....put it back in the car, been fine ever since...as my buddy owns the car now
Old 12-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Sorry to get snappy with you 8a8fmh. I've just seen some people get nasty around here so I didn't know what to think. Anyway, if Kurtomac is right I won't have to do anything special to repair the tranny. I will probably end up replacing the input bearing as well, as i have excessive backlash noise in first and second gear. Thanks guys